Beta Techno play in rear linkage? anybody help?

jamwash

hi there, i have a 95 beta techno. i know its not the newest or "best" but i love it and it does me for what i want. everything seems tight on the bike apart from a little play in the rear end... let me try to explain,

when the bike is on the ground (not stand) and i grab the underside of the rear subframe i can lift this up and there seems to be about 1 or 2 cm vertical play. i know the swingarm bushes are ok so i pressume this would be the linkage? so i guess my questions are,

1, where is this play associated with a,linkage

b,suspension mounts

c,rear shock

2, is it worth repairing this for a novice(ish) rider tackling mild obstacles, or live with it for a year until i upgrade?

3, anybody got any idea what it would cost and how much time it would take ( real time not including beer,tea,fags and other distractions)

thanks in advance.......Matt :icon_salut:

Hi there had same problem a few years back with my 97 techno when i pulled linkage off all bearings fell in bits loads of rusty bearing rollers fell out! I think in the end i replaced all of the bearings including swingarm bearings cost about 100 quid and took a few hours to do!Make sure you pack all new bearings with a good waterproof grease!

cheers, i thought it might be that!! all ok at mo with minimal play so will prob leave for the winter unless it gets too bad, and carry out the repairs next spring. i will prob only ride it 10 times between now and then.

thanks again for your help........matt :thumbup:

Might be worth a quick strip down to see what condition there in as all might not be knackered and the ones that are ok pack with fresh grease.AS i just striped all mine and found the dog bone and lower link bearings were a rusty mess and unless you know a bearing supplier some of these shops wont