Best way to decoke middle box on a 315r

jes42

I was initially under the impression that you were able to get at all the packing via the two window areas shown in the pics. Does your finished product have 4 windows, or did you go with two and leave some packing behind?

Cheers to ya...

Yeah, sorry, I didn't answer Q3 very clearly. Two windows, as per the pictures, is sufficient to get all the packing out. Takes some doing though...

• 3 weeks later...

I took some photos to show how I went about cleaning and repacking

I cut the windows here:

315ExpansionChamber004.jpg

and here

315ExpansionChamber006.jpg

I used the drill (with depth gauge) and hacksaw instead of cutting disk to cut the windows, to avoid damaging the perforated tube inside. A hook was made from stiff wire to pull out all the old packing. Once the packing was removed, I heated the inside of the perforated tube with the gas burner. The oily gunge caught fire and was left to burn out. It was then easy enough to shake the soot out and get everything reasonably clean.

It was then repacked, taking care to get packing into all the corners:

315ExpansionChamber002.jpg

Then a paper template was used to get the right shape for the plates to go over the windows. Silicone and pop rivet:

315ExpansionChamber003.jpg

Hope this helps :thumbup:

thnkyou so much for this! <3