SWM TL320 - Rotax engine spec's

hekto

I have acquired a TL320 this summer. I know these things are quite noisy - and nearly bullet proof. Inspections of clutch (to try solving the clutch'problem') and inspections of barrel and head, indicates that the engine is very fine. Anyway - it has a lot of mechanical noises and there seems to be some play either at the top-end or the big-end of the rod. I haven't measured it and it is just recognisable. (A lot of the noise is transferred by the fins on the head I have noticed)

Do anyone know where to find the specifications of service limits, wear outs etc. for the Rotax engine?

They are a noisy engine after a few years, piston slap being particulaly obviouse.

Get ear plugs, run mineral oil at 32:1, change the gear box oil regularly (check which is the drain plug)

Check the fly wheel nut is tight.

Routine maintenance.

Enjoy.

And check the kickstart allan bolt is tight.

Edited by B40RT

They are a noisy engine after a few years, piston slap being particulaly obviouse.

Get ear plugs, run mineral oil at 32:1, change the gear box oil regularly (check which is the drain plug)

Check the fly wheel nut is tight.

Routine maintenance.

Enjoy.

And check the kickstart allan bolt is tight.

''

Thanks ... sounds like I have to do it the same way I drive mu Ducati ... earplugs! :P

About the oil-mix. You recommend 32:1. Others say 40:1 and syntethtic. I'm sure that 32:1 is more 'safe' but are the any problems with it ... and why mineral oil?

I have used 32:1 mineral for many years in rotax motors, so recomend from pratical experiance.

It might be cleaner and pick up faster with other oils/ratios, but with a flywheel the size of a small car,

dont see any advantage. :)

Just to add another opinion, i have run 60:1 full synthetic for 15 years in my SWM and again, have had no problems. The engine being very clean internally with minimal smoking.

Hmmmm ... 3% ... 2,5% ... 1.6% It seems that the Rotax engine is very tolerant. I don't have that much experience with it to say how much it will foul up the exhaust. I think I will stick with the 2,5% (40:1) for a while.

The modern 2-stroke oils are a lot better than in the older days; but I have had en Yamaha RD350 that ran 60.000 Km's on plain Castrol mineral 2-stroke oil with out any problems. (the I sold it)

The gas pick up on the SWM is as you point out .... very slow. I can see that it is recommended to remove 500 Grams. I will try that some time.