important oil consumption with RTLS 87'

fufu30400

hi everybody,

I'm back on this forum after several months enjoying riding my bike without no more ignition problem but now my engine runs like a diesel one.... When it happened for the first time last year I noticed that ring end gap was too important so I changed them but after one year (let's say 40 hours running)they are now out of use again (more than 1mm !). Valves but not guides are new as seal valve as well, unfortunately I didn't find a piston. As any one got an idea ? Could be an abnormal cylinder wear perhaps and I'm going to make it check by a professional (max 70,10mm according to owner's manual)and the piston too of course. Does anyone know if reboring cylinder is possible because I'm afraid to replace it : more than 800

Assuming the RTL cylinder barrell layout is the same as TLR, ie a cast in liner, then the easiest solution I have found is to have the liner bored out and a new thin walled liner fitted and rebored to standard size. A few years ago in the UK this cost about

Hi not ron,

Thanks for your answer. It's a good news that according to you cylinder can be rebore because I've been told not by some guys .. Next monday I'm gonna go to the mechanic's to have my parts (cylinder, piston, valve guide) checked and I will decide what to do after. About oil consumption, when I said my engine run like a diesel I meant it smoke a lot like old diesels do sometimes and for this reason consumption is about 200cc after one round of a trial (around 15 kms). Head of piston was covered of oil when I took off the cylinder head and the spark plug too so engine run very poorly. Do you know if TLR and RTL cylinder are the same because it could be easier to find one I suppose.

So I'll tell you next week.

Victor

When I said it could be rebored what I meant was bored back to standard size after a new sleeve/liner had been fitted, the company I used in the UK is called Jetbore, their website says they still provide the service.

The thickness of the sleeve is critical due to the cylinder stud holes being cast into the original liner and the proximity of the stud holes to the cylinder bore.

In terms of interchangeability I cannot be sure they are the same part number but I expect the liner configuration is the same so the same reclaim procedure can be followed.

Back when they were new it was a common trick to use a TLR barrel on an RTL engine - the only difference was the colour they were painted.Dont know about the piston tho,I had both bikes back then but I only had to rebuild the TLR engine.Big disappointment,the engine only did 22 closed to club trials - ran on Silkolene pro4 changed every other trial.The whole top end wore out....