Uprated front brake system 2010 Oset 16"

pete_scorpa3

My daughter likes riding her trials bike more than anything else (although rock climbing comes a close second) she is just getting to the stage where she needs good brakes but being a very small five year old, her little hands can't apply much pressure on the brake lever.

I've tried various ways to improve the brakes but have now 'bitten the bullet' and fitted a twin piston hydraulic system.

IMG_0046.jpg

The Clark Skeletal system is designed for mountain bikes and offers impressive adjustments on the lever for both reach and span.

IMG_0055.jpg

It also comes with a 185mm wavy disc and allows even Jess to use just one finger on the brakes. I was pleasantly suprised when it took just 10 minutes to fit and a few seconds to adjust. Not cheap but well worth considering if your rider isn't very strong.

Pete

Edited by Pete_Scorpa3

Excellent idea, and you could recoup a good bit of the cost selling them second hand on ebay if you take them off when you eventually sell the bike.

It's worth taking off the thick grips and putting on some thin trials grips too, most of Ted's hands were taken up just wrapping around the grips when he was small.

Wish I could find something similar for his Sherco 50, drum brakes and little hands don't offer much stopping power.

drum brakes and little hands don't offer much stopping power.

To your point, my daughter likes the Gas Gas 50 over the XR50 simply because the "brakes work better". The difference is hydraulic disc brakes to a cable and drum brake. They also have the OSETs and prefer them, but the gas bikes can in some situations offer more in terms of riding longer distances.

• 1 year later...