Montesa 247 Cota Silencer Question

sempergumby

Hi Guys,

I have a 1972 Montesa Cota 247. The DPO put a shorty silencer on the back of the bike and it sounds like a shotgun going off. So I'm getting dirty looks from the moms due to the noise footprint of the bike.

Is there an after market silencer I can put on the back that will quiet down this bike (lots). Or do I order the stockish looking silencer from Sammy Miller in Merry Old England.

I need to be a good neighbor in my own hood.

My apologies for posting this in the wrong section. I post this in the right place -- ack ack I cannot delete this post! (sigh)

Thanks in advance,

Edited by sempergumby

You can buy an aftermarket original style steel silencer from Bultaco UK, or an alloy WES silencer from Bultaco UK or Sammy Miller.

I fitted a WES to a 1974 247 and it was quiet, although I'd also cut open, cleaned out and repacked the centre box too.

I too have a 72 247 and have had issues finding a silencer that will fit the small stinger. I finally took a muffler that had the correct size inlet that was a Montesa muffler originally, and refabricated it to work on the 72. it looks good and is alot quieter than what the po had on the bike which was a small Krizman. I have also considered changing the mid chamber or muffler to something with a larger outlet but that starts getting expensive. Super Trapp sells the old style steel bodied muffler/spark arrestor that is the closest to the correct size I have found for this application , but I thought there might be some clearance issues with the back tire. It is not an easy fix to just find something to bolt on if the stock muffler is missing. Good luck and let us know what you come up with...

Sam