1972 Cota 247 Silencer

sempergumby

Hi Guys,

I have a 1972 Montesa Cota 247 which runs great. The DPO put a shorty silencer on the back of the bike and it sounds like a shotgun going off. So I'm getting dirty looks from the moms (although the kids think it's way cool) due to the noise footprint of the bike.

Is there an after market silencer I can put on the back that will quiet down this bike (lots). Or do I order the stockish looking silencer from Sammy Miller in Merry Old England. Is the SM silencer packed or is it just a chamber?

I need to be a good neighbor in my own 'hood.

Thanks in advance,

Edited by sempergumby

Hi Guys,

I have a 1972 Montesa Cota 247 which runs great. The DPO put a shorty silencer on the back of the bike and it sounds like a shotgun going off. So I'm getting dirty looks from the moms (although the kids think it's way cool) due to the noise footprint of the bike.

Is there an after market silencer I can put on the back that will quiet down this bike (lots). Or do I order the stockish looking silencer from Sammy Miller in Merry Old England. Is the SM silencer packed or is it just a chamber?

I need to be a good neighbor in my own 'hood.

Thanks in advance,

Since you are listing AHRMA as you club, then it is a fair guess you are in the states. I wouldn't order anything from the UK, until after you check with Jared at Southwest Montesa, or Bob at B&J Racing, to see what they may have available.

Since you are listing AHRMA as you club, then it is a fair guess you are in the states. I wouldn't order anything from the UK, until after you check with Jared at Southwest Montesa, or Bob at B&J Racing, to see what they may have available.

Atlanta GA - I'll give em a call. Thanks. Are WES silencers available in the US?

WES was previously available through B&J Racing. Didn't notice them on his site now, but did see where he is manufacturing his own, in a more classic style.

Thanks for the heads up! Just a few things to do to get me to the last trials in Aonia in November like a new chain (the one I have has two master links and a broken roller) and repair the hole on the back of the case over the transmission! The PO put some caulk over the pencil sized hole. I'm thinking Marine Tex Gray until I can get the motor out and have it welded. (but it runs so well) Oh and the rear wheel bearings need replacing and I think it needs an exhaust gasket because there is a greasy black spot of smutz on the frame underneath collar with the the holes... Is there a tool for these exhaust collars or do I just tap them around?

Don't look too closely at and old Montesa!

Edited by sempergumby

Well the "hole" in the back of the case turned out to tbe vent hole for the transmission. The PO put in a vent hose through the oil fill cap and plugged the factory vent hole with caulk. I finished the job with a little 'dab' of Marine Tex Gray. Perhaps I'll get to practice this afternoon a bit...