Oil change 05 TXT 300 pro

kayloe

Hi,

Gonna change the oil in my new to me gasser. Reading the threads ATF dexron 111 might be worth a go? should i fill until the window shows full of can you recommend a good level, sure someone said 550ml.

Cheers Kay

Hi,

Gonna change the oil in my new to me gasser. Reading the threads ATF dexron 111 might be worth a go? should i fill until the window shows full of can you recommend a good level, sure someone said 550ml.

Cheers Kay

Kay,

Oil volume in the Pro seems to be (to me, at least) a mildly baffeling subject in that the factory recommendation seems to call for too much oil at 550cc's, from what riders tell me (and the recommendations vary slightly from year to year in the earlier spec.'s). Riders have complained that overfilling the cases leads to the excess being dribbled out the vent tube. The general agreement seems to be to fill the case to just about the top of the sight glass (bike upright and time allowed for the oil to circulate) and this seems to work out to about 425/450cc's in most cases. My 02' 280 Pro, for instance, takes 375cc's to fill the sight glass to the top because it is a slightly different engine than your 05.

I think the more important issue is to change the oil often to keep it fresh as it does double-duty in the Pro and lubricates the crank bearings, for instance.

Jon

Kay,

Oil volume in the Pro seems to be (to me, at least) a mildly baffeling subject in that the factory recommendation seems to call for too much oil at 550cc's, from what riders tell me (and the recommendations vary slightly from year to year in the earlier spec.'s). Riders have complained that overfilling the cases leads to the excess being dribbled out the vent tube. The general agreement seems to be to fill the case to just about the top of the sight glass (bike upright and time allowed for the oil to circulate) and this seems to work out to about 425/450cc's in most cases. My 02' 280 Pro, for instance, takes 375cc's to fill the sight glass to the top because it is a slightly different engine than your 05.

I think the more important issue is to change the oil often to keep it fresh as it does double-duty in the Pro and lubricates the crank bearings, for instance.

Jon

Jon Thanks for that, really helpfull.

best go get oily then!

cheers kay

Dextron III (Castrol TQ-D)

About 350cc if it was well drained.

Fill it up to between halfway and 3/4 up the sight window.

Run it for a few minutes, then let it settle and check with bike vertical it should still be halfway up!

Jon Thanks for that, really helpfull.

best go get oily then!

cheers kay

Another thing I usually mention to a new rider changing oil is to use a new

Allen wrench or an old one with about 5mm cut off the end. The drain plugs are

aluminum and easily stripped out unless the flutes on the wrench end are sharp.

The lower plug uses an aluminum "crush" washer so it's a good idea to replace

it once in a while.

Jon

Another thing I usually mention to a new rider changing oil is to use a new

Allen wrench or an old one with about 5mm cut off the end. The drain plugs are

aluminum and easily stripped out unless the flutes on the wrench end are sharp.

The lower plug uses an aluminum "crush" washer so it's a good idea to replace

it once in a while.

Jon

thanks will do