montesa 4rt HT LEADS

dye29

hy i have just got a small tachometer to test the rpm on 4rt it says connect to ht leads but not sure exacly where to connect,

just figured that out now the only prob setting the tach up it says spark revolutions what is this i dont have a clue

Edited by dye29

hy i have just got a small tachometer to test the rpm on 4rt it says connect to ht leads but not sure exacly where to connect,

just figured that out now the only prob setting the tach up it says spark revolutions what is this i dont have a clue

Start bike and let it idle, I presume you are either to hold the tachometer close to the HT lead or have wrapped a small wire around the HT lead. The RPM for a 4RT is 1800 approximately.

If your tach is showing around about that figure (1800) the tach, it is set correctly... if it shows your bike idling at say 900 rpm or much higher or lower (3600 rpm), then you have to adjust the tach to another setting as it is set incorrectly.

Note: some tach's don't pick up any reading at all, because the 4RT is fuel injected.

Big John

Start bike and let it idle, I presume you are either to hold the tachometer close to the HT lead or have wrapped a small wire around the HT lead. The RPM for a 4RT is 1800 approximately.

If your tach is showing around about that figure (1800) the tach, it is set correctly... if it shows your bike idling at say 900 rpm or much higher or lower (3600 rpm), then you have to adjust the tach to another setting as it is set incorrectly.

Note: some tach's don't pick up any reading at all, because the 4RT is fuel injected.

Big John

hy yes just wrap wire round ht leads but i have to set the tachometer up it has 4 settings 1 for a full revalation 1 for 2 sparks per revalation and others wich one do i need for a 4stroke 4rt regards ste

hy yes just wrap wire round ht leads but i have to set the tachometer up it has 4 settings 1 for a full revalation 1 for 2 sparks per revalation and others wich one do i need for a 4stroke 4rt regards ste

see what reading you get for 1 revolution and if it reads around 1800 rpm on idle or thereabouts that is the setting you need, if it reads half that or double, then you have the wrong setting!

Big John

It must know what the cam is doing as wouldn't inject fuel when on power stroke but can't recall any sensors on top end of motor either.

Umm, maybe, but I don't think that's the case, obviously diesels do but petrol motors don't have to unless they're direct injecion, I think on the 4RT the injector just sprays fuel into the inlet tract at the rate governed by the ecu map for the operating conditions.

Umm, maybe, but I don't think that's the case, obviously diesels do but petrol motors don't have to unless they're direct injecion, I think on the 4RT the injector just sprays fuel into the inlet tract at the rate governed by the ecu map for the operating conditions.

hy i think iv cracked it its one full revalation thanksw guys

Not wanting to hijack the thread but my technical intrigue makes me think that the japs would not have fuel pooling in the inlet manifold when on the power stroke.

Yes having done the maths after posting theres not much delay even at tick over. The air flow is measured in the throttle body and combined with rpm and throttle position the injector just supplies accordingly. Not sure if it pulses or continual jet.

Cant see any way the ignition will know what the cam is doing so maybe does spark every stroke. :guinness:

Gday, it would fire every revolution. Its called "wasted spark" and its very common. The only way to have it only fire once per cycle is to use a sensor on the cam as it rotates only once per cycle. Often tacho's will ignore the second spark because its voltage is very low while there is no "load" on the spark plug from compression. The injector pulses on and off continually, its the length of the pulse that determines how much fuel is injected. Each pulse lasts for a few milliseconds according to demand. ("on" Longer for more fuel, "off" longer for less fuel etc.)The system on these bikes is not overly sophisticated as far as EFI goes.

Cheers,

Stork

Gday, it would fire every revolution. Its called "wasted spark" and its very common. The only way to have it only fire once per cycle is to use a sensor on the cam as it rotates only once per cycle. Often tacho's will ignore the second spark because its voltage is very low while there is no "load" on the spark plug from compression. The injector pulses on and off continually, its the length of the pulse that determines how much fuel is injected. Each pulse lasts for a few milliseconds according to demand. ("on" Longer for more fuel, "off" longer for less fuel etc.)The system on these bikes is not overly sophisticated as far as EFI goes.

Cheers,

Stork

thanks stork any ideas on why mine takes a while to start