Front fork springs

steve1979

If you don't come right sourcing them locally you should not hesitate about ordering them from Lewisport. I got fork springs and a rear shock spring from them and the service was great, international shipping as well.

If you don't come right sourcing them locally you should not hesitate about ordering them from Lewisport. I got fork springs and a rear shock spring from them and the service was great, international shipping as well.

Hi Spark, thanks, i will probably be ordering them from Lewisport, i'm surprised there not more readily available in the UK. I was considering just getting new standard springs, seeing as mine have had 7 years worth of use but uprated one's would be better. Did you notice much difference after getting your springs in.

It makes a big difference. I'm 95kg and the bike with std. springs feels like it has used up most of it's travel just standing on it. I would bottom out the forks just braking on a downhill, and the rear felt like a low rider. I think a lot of people don't know what they are missing out on by not getting springs suited for their weight. Look at the choices the enduro guys have for springs. You will give up a little of the small bump compliance but it will be better overall. If you could I would suggest doing the shock spring as well. I went with the 10% stiffer springs.

Hi Spark, yes i'm 91kg and i have an uprated rear spring in the gas gas allready, i got that from Steve saunders (SXS) it's actually the upgraded spring meant for Beta evo's but they fit the gas gas too, they just fit in upside down it's the same sach shock. I tried the standard spring in mine from my mate's beta after he upgraded and the two standard springs are identical so i ordered stiffer spring and had it in the bike for months now and what a fantastic difference. Hopping the rear is so much easier and it tells you how much preload to dial in to suit your weight so far it's been one of the best £50 mods iv'e done. If the stiffer fronts are as good as the rear they will be well worth it.

For anyone else who may be interested in a stiffer rear spring here's a link

http://www.saundersextremesports.co.uk/product.php?id=1248718752&parent=4

Edited by steve1979

Hi Spark, yes i'm 91kg and i have an uprated rear spring in the gas gas allready, i got that from Steve saunders (SXS) it's actually the upgraded spring meant for Beta evo's but they fit the gas gas too, they just fit in upside down it's the same sach shock. I tried the standard spring in mine from my mate's beta after he upgraded and the two standard springs are identical so i ordered stiffer spring and had it in the bike for months now and what a fantastic difference. Hopping the rear is so much easier and it tells you how much preload to dial in to suit your weight so far it's been one of the best

Hello there, i dont suppose you know if these springs fit the earlier 1995 250 contact do you ? or if possible some measurements to match one up as im struggling as a big guy to hop the rear wheel as well, sorry to jump in on a post but have been searching for a while about the rear shock on my gas gas, cheers and just like to say great forum been very helpful.

Hi Wils, Sorry not sure about the 1995 250 contact but if it's a sachs shock i would guess it probably would fit but i couldn't be 100% i was lucky because my mate had swapped his spring over and i compared his original to my spring and they were identical although the beta evo shock which is the same sachs shock is just upside down so the rebound adjuster is at the top. If you could compare your 1995 to a 2003 or beta evo and see if it's still the same shock then your in luck.

I found this company on the web http://www.k-tech.uk.com/ they sell a big range of springs for road and offroad machines. Unfortunately nothing GasGas specific. I am guessing that GasGas would have used standard parts of some sort, any ideas?

Al

Hi VMeldrew, thankyou for the link iv'e not ordered new fronts yet but think i'm going to this weekend. They may be worth a call though to see what they come up with. Thanks again

Edited by steve1979

http://www.trialspartsusa.com/diagrams/Shock_Absorbers_GasGas.jpg

Hi Wils, i found this pic and my shock is the 2000 and newer one i'm assuming you have the first one in the pic which looks shorter than mine so i'm not sure the evo spring would fit.

Cheers for your help it is the sachs boge shock on mine but due to the price of them and not wanting to throw to much money at the old girl as recently replaced the fan unit and fork seals and rear swingarm lower roller bearings a newer bike might be on the cards by looking at the weight of the newer bikes i might be gaining alot as well n maybe a few less ciders might help

much appreciated for your help once again