ty350

searay175

I have a 85 ty350 and it starts fine when cold (3rd kick)and it starts right back up if it is shut down breifley or kill it but if it sits for lets say 15-30 minutes it is a bear to fire back up. I usually try with out the choke as it is warm and sometimes I can kick it over 20 times or more before it fires back up and the choke does not help. It has a fresh plug ,fresh fuel and the jets and carb and filter are clean. Any ideas? Timing maybe? Thanks!

I have a 85 ty350 and it starts fine when cold (3rd kick)and it starts right back up if it is shut down breifley or kill it but if it sits for lets say 15-30 minutes it is a bear to fire back up. I usually try with out the choke as it is warm and sometimes I can kick it over 20 times or more before it fires back up and the choke does not help. It has a fresh plug ,fresh fuel and the jets and carb and filter are clean. Any ideas? Timing maybe? Thanks!

I've got two TY350's (one in the family since new) and they usually fire right up when cold or hot. I doubt that timing is the problem unless the Woodruff key is damaged and the flywheel hub has shifted on the crank stub.

The carb float valve may be leaking, especially if you are using the stock TK carb, and this will provide an over-rich condition. Try shutting off the tank petcock each time the bike is parked for any length of time. If the condition improves, that may be the culprit and replacing the float valve will help. Most of us replace the TK with a VM-26 Mikuni.

Check all the electrical connections and clean/sand the grounds, like where the coil bracket mounts. The killswitch may be a problem so make sure you have a good one (and relatively new) properly mounted. The newer two-wire rather than the old one wire types are much better. I use the same type sparkplug in my TY as I do my GasGas Pro, in the TY case, an NGK BPR6EIX set to .024".

The 350 uses an 8-petal, steel reed setup and changing to Boyesen reeds is a really good upgrade.

With 26 years of use, you might want to check the exhaust pipe for carbon clogging where it meets the cylinder.

Jon