Rear brake problem

scorpa_jim

Just bought a 2003 scorpa 250.

The back brake felt like it had air in so i decided to bleed it. I then found that where the reservoir hose attaches to the master cylinder for the back brake the hose was split slighlty..

This has been cuased because its being trapped between the sing arm and the brake pedal.

Has anybody else had anything like this happen? How did they rectify it?? Im abit stumped...

It doesn't usually occur.

Did not you detach a rear damper?

At that time, the pipe suffers in the edge of the brake pedal and the swing arm that fell if it is not supported.

Round the edge of the brake pedal.

Exchange the pipe for more thickness.

And, note what happens when a rear damper is detached.

My 2007 did the same thing. I think the condidtion is exacerbated by negative weighting of the back wheel (ala lots of air time via jumps, hauling atop the skid plate, etc.)...as the hose does not rub under normal "sag"conditions. It took 2 years for mine to develop a pin hole. I simply cut about 1/2" of hose off and reconected...you should have enough slack to do this once or twice....then just replace the hose (i'm assuming its just the supply hose and not the pressured one). Irritating yes...but a small price to pay for the otherwise top-notch quality.

Hi Jim,

Same happened on mine, the previous owner had tried to bleed the rear brake and some how moved the hose to a place where it rubbed a small hole in it [it's very tight in there] apparently he never had the brake working in all the time he owned it :blink: - I bought a replacement braided hose from a local 'Hose' shop, much tougher. The bottom M'cylinder connector is a bitch to fit properly when the bikes complete, i dropped the swing arm down and made it much easier to do.

Hi Jim,

Same happened on mine, the previous owner had tried to bleed the rear brake and some how moved the hose to a place where it rubbed a small hole in it [it's very tight in there] apparently he never had the brake working in all the time he owned it :blink: - I bought a replacement braided hose from a local 'Hose' shop, much tougher. The bottom M'cylinder connector is a bitch to fit properly when the bikes complete, i dropped the swing arm down and made it much easier to do.

I did the same thing on mine the very first time a cleaned the carb. To gain access, it helps to remove the top shock bolt and pivot the shock back towards the rear wheel, this allows the swing arm to drop and pinch the hose.

I replaced the pipe and always make sure the rear wheel is supported when I clean the carb.