putting 2002 pro motor halves together

redneck

im trying to put the case halves together on my 2002 pro 280. it has about 1/4, maybe less, an inch to go. it seems hung up on something. am i doing something wrong? any tips for putting the halves together?

Look closely at the back of the cases and you'll see the kickstart return spring tip sticking down. That end needs to go in the machined hole in the lower back part of the case made just for it. See if that fixes the problem.

Jon

I have that done. That unfortunately isn't the issue. The halve kind of rocks as if it is something near the middle. I'm thinking it's one of the gear shafts. The shifter and the drive shaft are through.

Sometimes it's necessary to remove the gear sets and re-install them. If you havent taken the gear sets apart it should go back with little problem. I usually install the gears with the case straight up and not down flat (different from the video).

After you have the gears in and everything in neutral, the teeth should line up straight across, shaft to shaft. If one side is higher than the other, that's probably the shaft with the problem.

Jon

Apparently I had the shift drum in the wrong position. Played with it for a while and found neutral ( the little n on the drum should have been a hint ) and it went together nicely! Still got a ways to go. Thanks for the pointers!