Event scoring options, what are they?

ridgrunr

Our club has historically ridden and scored our events in class groups. I personally don't think it's the best option for a number of reasons, but it's what we do.

We've toyed with riding observed, but like everyone else it's tough to get all day observers, and few guys will drive 3-4 hours to get to an event just to score and not be able to ride, even for club points. We've split the day some too, with half the classes riding in the morning, while the other half score, then reversing it in the afternoon. I wonder if there are any other options the clubs are doing that work well?

Our club has historically ridden and scored our events in class groups. I personally don't think it's the best option for a number of reasons, but it's what we do.

We've toyed with riding observed, but like everyone else it's tough to get all day observers, and few guys will drive 3-4 hours to get to an event just to score and not be able to ride, even for club points. We've split the day some too, with half the classes riding in the morning, while the other half score, then reversing it in the afternoon. I wonder if there are any other options the clubs are doing that work well?

Not saying it is "right" but our club and some others in the plains, break up the riders into morning and afternoon classes. this also affects section building as the morning classes have a nice but similiar range of "techniques" they are tested on, just varying degrees of difficulty... same with upper classes.

So out here the two groups are:

beginner or juniors/novice/amature/senior amature... Morning Rider classes

Then

intermediat/sr expert/expert/master.... Afternoon Rider classes.

And since we've done it this long, the sections are totally different because it is kind of hard to make master sections that a novice can walk through let alone ride through... So there are 2 sets of 8 up to 12 sections setup each month, for the 2 groups. So when the Morning riders compete, the other class sections are CLOSED. This allows the opposite class of riders, to be picked to judge, and bonus tear down sctions when that group of riders are done.

Judgeing is compulsory but also is handled in a lottery fashion, as long as there are more riders in a group than judges needed. Any clubmember knows they are responsible to be there to judge the other class, so if you miss the morning sign up, and "judging selection" (based from rider signup of course) it is very frowned upon.

I think our club is a bunch of close friends that like to get together and compete, this might not be the case in your club. I can't probably get you to believe how I feel that we are more than fortunate with our club's attitude, everyone seems to abide and respect the needs to judge if asked, and stuff like that. I think our region, since that is all I have been to, are good about being a judges.

I'll admit that when I was younger I didnt like to judge, as I got older I appreciated it more to be a judge. I like seeing the newer riders, encourage them, plus that BONUS that saved me from that dreaded "wrecked and or hurt before my class rides" syndrome :closedeyes: I went through as a young rider...

Worst problems you can cause: you can have is that your club HAS to emphasize that NO MATTER WHAT THE REASON, IF YOU ARE DONE ATTEMPTING SECTIONS AS SET FOURTH IN RULES (complete all three loops, or if you break down, or just give up) YOU TURN YOUR CARD IN, OR AT LEAST TELL THE CARD GATHERER YOU ARE DONE/UNABLE TO FINISH.

You JUST CANT leave the judges out there for no reason, send a rider to tell the judges everyone is done ASAP! Usually we have stragglers, someone follows them around a close sections as they get done. Closing means you rip up ribbons and splits, get ready for your ride (or the awards before you go home).

Edited by Sting32

Personally, I have no problems with group riding and group scoring as long as it is done properly. I think there should be one Sr rider whom is reputable and unbiased assigned to each group of 5 or so, and he carries the punch and responsibility!

Each rider is in observance, and with a mixed group of both upper and lower class riders a fair score can be taken! Little hiding here!

If there is an issue, the group will decide on the spot!

As cheaters in trials are only really cheating themselves by lieing, most find few issues in a club environment of friends.

However , this in itself places accountability on the rider in charge of his group for fairness and accuracy of the scores. This should be agreed upon and the rules held.

As a rider, I usually pride myself in being honest, and few doubt me because of it. As such the case of a distracted observer. If they must ask, then I must tell!

Even with a designated observer in a regular trial, if there is only one, then his scope is limited, and sometimes points are lost or hidden due to terrain and such. Seems no one else cares, or cannot do anything about it as they are not the observer, and what the observer does not see, he cannot score, as doubt goes to the rider.

All said, on a simple club trials, I prefer the group rides and good company of mixed riders for a good day out. Everyone can go out, break for lunch, then go back out to finish the day and go home in a decent time.

Splitting the day between am/pm riders makes for a long day. Great for more signifigant events such as State or Regional series, but just for an average weekend club get out, it just seems a bit much to me if you got maybe 20-30 riders (or less) that just want to ride a bit!

Edited by copemech