Suspension Set Up

alan bechard

Has anyone gone through and set up their suspension for their kids on either a 50 or the 125?

The 50 has 3 preload setting's is anyone else out there using them?

I have just put the light (100 lb of so) RYP spring on Christina's 125, set it for about 3" of race sag.

Anybody have any insights or suggestions?

Hey Alan, hope this has been a very nice holiday season for you and the family. :P The general rule of thumb for race sag is 30% of the total travel. This is for MX and trail riding, but it ought to be a good starting point for trials bikes as well. I thought it worked out closer to 2" on a trials bike. When my GG was set at 3" it didn't turn that well. Tightening it up to 2.5" brought it back in balance with the front, and the steering improved dramaticly. I'd have her do several full lock figure 8's in the driveway with 3", 2.5" and 2" and see which one she prefers.

Hi Eric, hoping you and the family are having great holiday's as well.

That was kind of the plan. I set the shock up with some preload on it when I changed the spring over, then stuck it in, and had her come out and do some "baseline" readings.

I was going to take her out and let her ride for a while with it the way it is, then change it dramaticly and let her try it again. All the while watching and seeing what I can see from the side.

I think after a bit of "tuning" and a little aggravation and time, I will be able to get it "dialed" for her. But then again, I am not sure her or I could honestly tell the difference that much.

It will be a fun excercise at the least, and another project, just what I need!

You need to come out this way and ride with us some. It will be fun. Wet slimy, slip and slide this weekend I bet!

Alan,

I also hope that you and your family had a wonderful Christmas. Some months ago there was an article in Trials Comp that showed how to set the sag on the Shercos. I believe that Bill Ibsen developed it. I have a copy of it and would be happy to send it to you. The dim they use is 2 1/2 inches for the sag.

BTW the Polini manual is fantastic, if it is OK with you I will share it with the Sherco Dealers.

Wayne