txt 80 rookie 05, are they all so noisy?

kippa1992

My 10 year old son has been competeing on a TY80 for the last two years, and has done very well (4th in the first and 2nd in the last). He wants to carry on with it, so i decided to buy him a TXT rookie 80 2005 (full size). I have noticed that it is really noisy, and cant find anyway of getting into the exhaust to check the baffles etc. It looks to me that the end and the middle section (chamber) are all welded up so you cant get in them. Can anyone help? is there a special way of getting into the silencer? do i have the wrong silencer for the year?

thanks

Paul

www.denbighandmoldtrials.co.uk

As far as I can tell (from having them round me at trials) all the "modern" 80s are horrendously noisy - it's really just a massive (compared to adult bikes) expansion chamber with not a lot on the end to quieten it. The TY may be equally loud on a meter but it is certainly far less piercing to the ear, perhaps it does not rev quite so highly.

In short I think you're stuck with it as is.

My son's is the same i repacked the silencer cut the pipe and de-coked it then repacked it and welded it back together still the same :-( just how they are. I have found that ours started running badley (idle issues, wouldnt rev clean) so i carried out the mods on the gasgas website (usa) linked from r2wtrials and also up jetted from a 92 -96 main this has made it run vertually perfect but still needs a few revs to clean it out every now and again. The jet changes made it a lot less noisy aswell, just need to sort the loading that you get after a few very slow sections(might try leaning the needle off one clip position). We have also suffered carb icing so started adding pro fst to the fuel mix that fixed that (75:1).

I think lots of the problems we have had with this bike are down to the **** overpriced fuel we all have to suffer, lots of 2 stroke road bikes have been siezing so have had to up jet funny how it only effects certain bikes though ?

Hope this is of some help !!!

Wish i had brought a beta 80 !!!!!

Was thinking of trying the mod, on the slide, but it seems to be running fine at tho moment. Probably is the same noise level as the TY, but like you say not as piercing. Seems to be chucking a lot of oil out of the exhaust, so going to clean that out. Will see how it goes after a couple of trials.

thanks for your help guys

Ps. Would have liked a BETA, just couldn't find one.