Crash Helmets

blocky

Some interesting comments & highly polarised views as usual!

Today went to my usual practice ground to meet up with 6 other local riders, at gate 'practice ground' I realised i had left my 'lid' at home. Knowing my luck if I rode without a helmet all afternoon i would be guaranteed to have a big off & damage my head!. A 14 mile round trip home was called for to pick up my helmet - probably 10 years ago I would have played around for the day without wearing a helmet but too many MX crashes & trials bike falls due to badly placed trees and branches has changed my opinion & I will no longer try anything serious without a helmet.

Smash of the day went to 'Duckwizard' & seeing an 8 or 10" long deep score in his helmet where the bike disagreed with him I bet he was glad he was wearing a 'lid'!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also to add,

Ive had a bad head injury before, It was none bike related, but when it happens, only then you realise the severe effects it might have.

I got off fine, but I was very young at the time and it just scars you mentally so precautions are made to ensure you dont go though the same s**t again...nor do I want anyone else to go though it.

I wasn't taking a risk at all when I caved my head in, but then you realise just how sensitive your head it...your brain is your control pannel, protect it at all costs.

For the sake of a load of plastic on your head at about

Finally I wonder if anyone who was riding in the 70's, can remember anyone being unlucky enough to suffer a serious head injury, due to the fact that hardly anyone wore a crash helmet?

Bruce Smith aged approx 19 years, member of my local trials club, accomplished trials rider, on his 1976 Sherpa riding along a 4wd track while out practising trials in 1978. He rode into the front of a bullbar-equipped 4WD at a relatively low speed and like 99% of trials riders at the time was not wearing a helmet. Bruce died due to the head injuries he sustained.

I'm sure others know similar stories.

I just wondered apart from the fact of freedom of choice, is there any reason why not wear a helmet?

Lloyd

Not at all. Its not a comparison discussion, its a debate.

There are no reasons to not wear one at all, if you asked someone without a helmet for a reason they will most probably just say 'because I want to'.

The reason FOR is to protect your head and in many worst cases, avoid death.

-----

Unless however, that was a rhetorical question, in which I apologie...your posts confuse me sometimes :(

Have always worn a helmet doing anything on the motor bike, even though the old man told me not to bother, I was only having a quick flip round the woods one evening, but I like to wear one. I always clip my head on branches and without a helmet would have lots of scars! Having said that, never used to wear one on my mountain bike until recently.

I think that all competitors should wear a helmet at events, but it is up to them when they are practising. Some people in my club wear cycle helmets for lightness and although the club don't like it, they are allowed to ride, but anyone without is not allowed to start at all.

I value my brains (at least, now I do!)

Pete.

Edited by Pete

This picture is of my son, a experienced rider of motorcycle & bike trials.

Taken last night after a small drop on his monty! ( in mates back garden)

Fractured skull cheekbone & eyesocket etc.

His helmet was left on our kitchen top, never again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post-2-1109192327.jpg

Edited by doughbouysherco

hopefully seeing that picture will make me where one when setting up bikes and also riding pushbikes. Slit my nose open (wasnt that bad could have done with stery strips) before riding a pushbike might not have had i been wearing a helmet and i still do it. :(

Here's my 10p's worth. When I was younger I occasionaly rode my GT250 without a hat, a) because I was stupid & :( because its nice to feel the wind in your hair.

Now I am (much) older I always wear a hat, a) because I am not quite so stupid now & :D I have no hair for the wind to blow thru.

My point - until people stop being stupid they need a few rules, the consequence of a rider hurting themselfs because thet are not wearing a hat in organised events effects everybody, so (IMHO) helmets should mandatory in compettion. What adults do alone in the woods is their concern.

As an aside, the area that I practice at once a month is shared with a bunch of people bringing their kids to ride those toy crossers/quads. I have seen the full range from fully kitted up, to bicycle helmets/tracksuits to no helmets/shorts ... madness, if you cant afford the kit for your kids, you shouldn't buy the vehicle ...

I feel better now ...

I dont think this is something enforced enough.

Ok, an example of this is when I see some local, very, very talented riders (one is Adrian Clarke, some might have seen him, quite well known in Derbyshire).

Well, anyway, a bit of a personal inspirational rider to myself. He has two kids who ride TYs and they will, without a dad, follow in his dads steps.

He rarely, when I see him, wears a helmet...just a wooly hat. But I personally think that his lads will see this and think that its ok...and, monkey see, monkey do...you know the rest.

I dont think that this is something that is enforced enough, even though TV, they have anti-speeding, sealbelt, drink driving ect ect...wheres all the bike helmet adverts.

I think that becuase whoever 'at the tops' knows that everyone knows its illegal to ride on roads without a helmet they do so no matter what...