Route marking

old trials fanatic

Have to say as a complete beginner that all of this discussion is a nightmare scenario for me. It's hard enough to worry about a) the bike, B) whether I'm going to kill myself and c) having a fantastic ride, but being told I've collected a five because I missed the marker would probably be enough to make me pack in & go play on my own.

From the outside looking in, I simply cannot understand why the sports governing body allows such differing rules. I can't think of any other sport that runs it's business on such a basis, and seems to be so worried of the tail wagging the dog.

If them's the rules, them's the rules, surely?

At a tenner a ton for flags, it's not cost that's the issue, surely?

Edited by Reverend

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to say as a complete beginner that all of this discussion is a nightmare scenario for me. It's hard enough to worry about a) the bike, B) whether I'm going to kill myself and c) having a fantastic ride, but being told I've collected a five because I missed the marker would probably be enough to make me pack in & go play on my own.

From the outside looking in, I simply cannot understand why the sports governing body allows such differing rules. I can't think of any other sport that runs it's business on such a basis, and seems to be so worried of the tail wagging the dog.

If them's the rules, them's the rules, surely?

At a tenner a ton for flags, it's not cost that's the issue, surely?

No, I don't believe any club can honestly say it's the cost that prevents them using a universal system. Especially as the universal system would probably use at least some, if not all, of the colours already in use!

The problem in my opinion, is that WE all think OUR system is best and won't admit that after al these years of using that system that it could be improved.

We're all as bad as each other and have a weak governing body who won't lay down the law for fear of upsetting us unpaid volunteers upon which they heavily rely.