2010 or 2011 opinions

bowellsyboy

Hi, thinking of upgrading from my 08 gasser and really like the design of the new sherco's. Can't really find many reviews or opinions on the 2010's or 11's so was just wondering peoples opinions on them. My budget is going to be more around the 10 model but could prob push for an 11 if people think it is massively improved. Going to get a test ride on one at the next trial hopefully to see if I like them. How much differently do they ride to the gassers? Lighter on the front end or heavier? Cheers for any info.

Hi, thinking of upgrading from my 08 gasser and really like the design of the new sherco's. Can't really find many reviews or opinions on the 2010's or 11's so was just wondering peoples opinions on them. My budget is going to be more around the 10 model but could prob push for an 11 if people think it is massively improved. Going to get a test ride on one at the next trial hopefully to see if I like them. How much differently do they ride to the gassers? Lighter on the front end or heavier? Cheers for any info.

You won't get the full answer you need, but it would certainly be worth looking at last weeks T&MX News if you've not read it yet.

I've ridden both, only a couple of sections mind, so can't really give a full report, but if I had the money, I'd plump for the 2011.

I believe the early 2010 had tank issues and breather hose problems, but that's about as much as I can add on that I'm afraid :rolleyes:

hi, i have owned the 2011 sherco, i had it 6 weeks before trading it in against a gas gas. the gas gas is a much better bike to ride,better for grip and better build quality. i didnt like the sherco at all. this is all my personal opinion though, try both new models and see which one you like. :thumbup:

hi, i have owned the 2011 sherco, i had it 6 weeks before trading it in against a gas gas. the gas gas is a much better bike to ride,better for grip and better build quality. i didnt like the sherco at all. this is all my personal opinion though, try both new models and see which one you like. :thumbup:

Changing this years bike so quickly must have meant that you really didn't like it. In what way was the Gas Gas better? Is there really that much diference between the two?

I had a 2010 290 and am now on a 2011 290 so I think I can validate this. It was only the first batch of 2010 bikes that had fuel tank issues and they were all changed under warranty. The engine is slightly different on the 2011 bike as it has new casings and a different cooling system. It all depends if you are thinking of a 250 or 290 as the 2011 290 has the flatslide vhst dellorto carb on it so revs far better than the 2010 bike. The 250 comes with the standard dellorto carb. I used to ride a GasGas for many years and find the Sherco grips far better. It does require a different riding style to a GG though as it needs to be ridden off the bottom end and is not as zippy as a GG. I find it tracks far better riding up a stream than a GG ever did as the GG's are notoriously twitchy on the front end.

Some people have said that the back end feels heavy against a GG which is probably true but it isn't when you get used to it. The maintenance is also far less on the Sherco aswell as the carb does not need cleaning after every wash.

As was mentioned with the buid quality I dont agree tha the Sherco is worse as they are all terrible apart from a Montesa! If you keep everything greased and tight you wont have any problems at all.

if you are thinking about a new bike then you probably have an idea of what you want (ie the sherco 10/11 model) but don't limit yourself. see if you can pinch 10-15 mins on the sherco's yeah, but also try and have a go on the gasser, new scorpa and beta. even mont or ossa? (possibly pushing budget a bit far) only you can decide what is the best bike, as "best" is purely opinion.

as for the sherco not needing the carb cleaning every time you wash the bike..... ludacris! if you like that sinking feeling when you're just not at the top of a step then happily leave the carb on any bike after washing. if however you prefer not crashing back down in a heap then unless you are running a 4rt or ossa, cleaning carb and checking filter is a must no matter what you're on! (even if its just for peace of mind)

if you are thinking about a new bike then you probably have an idea of what you want (ie the sherco 10/11 model) but don't limit yourself. see if you can pinch 10-15 mins on the sherco's yeah, but also try and have a go on the gasser, new scorpa and beta. even mont or ossa? (possibly pushing budget a bit far) only you can decide what is the best bike, as "best" is purely opinion.

as for the sherco not needing the carb cleaning every time you wash the bike..... ludacris! if you like that sinking feeling when you're just not at the top of a step then happily leave the carb on any bike after washing. if however you prefer not crashing back down in a heap then unless you are running a 4rt or ossa, cleaning carb and checking filter is a must no matter what you're on! (even if its just for peace of mind)

Do you own a Sherco as it says 05 Gasser? There is a procedure to wash the new Sherco and you dont have to clean the carb as nothing gets in it so unless you own one your opinion is not valid as you don't appear to be the owner of one.

The guy asked a simple question as to the differences between a 2010 and a 2011 Sherco and you are on about a GasGas for some reason when that was not his question. If he wanted to know what bike was best then he would have read the discussions that crop up all the time in the general trials discussion.

well said tricky dicky.as for a sherco they both ride perfect with no major faults,not any more than the rest on the market.as for build quality totaly nothing wrong with them,and also cheaper than a gas gas .if you are thinking of a sherco get a 290 much better power delivery.if you need to calm it down its very easy to do.as for a new gas gas you need a pilots lisence.

First proper reviews I've read!! Why is there so little comparrison talk in reviews? Not once in tmx does it compare to other bikes with bad and good points. Thanks for all your input guys on your replys. I've owned a beta and now a gasser and had good rides on scorpas and monts as had mates who own them. I don't really think there is much between any of the makes, just personal preference to your riding style. The main reason I'm looking at sherco's is that I loved my 06 rev 3 for grip but also love my 08 gasser for chucking it around, but I do find the gasser a struggle to keep on line in long steep rocky gullies due to the lightness of the bike/front end. Speaking to friends and other riders they seem to think I might prefer a Sherco as it falls in-between the models?!! Not sure if that is the case until I try one, but if I do that was why I wanted to know the differences between the Sherco models. I've read about the tank and breather problems with the 10 model, but I'm more concerned with the handling side of things. Cheers for your replys guys.

Edited by bowellsyboy

The yearly reviews on each bike are little more than adverts for this years machine. It's funny how last year there wasn't a bad thing to be said, but this years bike is always a big improvement.

Like I said, you won't get your answer but it is still worth reading. :thumbup:

The yearly reviews on each bike are little more than adverts for this years machine. It's funny how last year there wasn't a bad thing to be said, but this years bike is always a big improvement.

Like I said, you won't get your answer but it is still worth reading. :thumbup:

I totally agree, it is just a big 2 page advert saying buy this as it has these good points about it. Atleast with these sites you get genuine riders telling you there good and bad experiences. Still really like the whole design of the Sherco andvdef the look of the 2011 model so can't wait to bag a ride on one this weekend....hopefully!!!!

I bought a 2011 last October and have been struggling with it ever since, it has many of the dodgy bits sorted from thier experiences with the first build (2010) of this bike. Generally I like the design but it still needs a few things doing to make it suitable for mere mortals to master it. It is so far as I can tell the least expensive of all the marques available, it is let down by a few cheap components but it hasn't shook itself to pieces as some of the new bikes I have bought in the last few years have. At this point in time it is unlikely I will buy another simply because it is not easy (for me)to ride.