Montesa Cota 348 - Originality

bpilgrim

Hmm, typical 348. Rooted frame. Right at the headstock.

Mudguards, original, semi-translucent, slightly pink mudgaurds. You can't get them. Jared at South West Montesa flogged the last a few years ago.

Pics below are from evil bay. The bike in the pics was completely original and only been run for about the miles. It is and the pics have served as the gold standard.

Thanks for the pics, it's nice to have a benchmark to go off!

I've been keeping an eye out for some original mudguards but I too haven't seen any. I'm looking at going for the (white) reproduction mudguards from In Motion, as both the front and rear on my bike have melted.

I'm just gathering the original bits at the moment. As you correctly said, I wouldn't want to ride it with NOS bits on it! Most of the good bits I currently have, intact crankcase covers etc are just being stored for now. I'm planning on getting a modern trials bike soon though (Beta Rev 3), so that the Montesa can rest and the beta can be used instead!

BP,

My Mont, as bought off e-bay and when when finished, loads of lessons learnt, loads of friends made around the world sourcing bits and loads of heartache trying to sort out the obvious. It's done nearly 2 seasons since the pics were taken but still keeps going - it has been mod'ed but most are not obvious (ie: Electronic Ign developed with Electrex). Now have to sort out the other 6 monts, Have loads of info and advice if you need?

Cheers, RMM

RMMMont3480aspurchased.jpg

RMMMont3481.jpg

RMMMont3483-1.jpg

Edited by ReallyMadMonty

• 2 months later...

Hi, well I'm back, was out on Monty today.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj9/mustpost/mon.jpg

I bought one of the 1st in in the UK in 1976 and ran it for a couple of years, most of the comments here appear to be correct (according to my memory!)I rebuilt it a couple of times, it ran the big end roller bearing and some other interesting things. The Amal levers were just not suitable for robust competition and I replaced mine with nylon ones. Monty is not that machine sadly, but a very genuine bike I bought a couple of years ago - however he does now feature my original bars which somehow survived divorces, house moves etc. I have replaced a number of things (and I know the back box is not genuine) but I still have a pinkish rear guard (the nylon aged over the years - the original colour was cream/translucent). I recently picked up a NOS tank still wrapped in MCNews paper dated 1977, not fitted yet but great to see one unwelded/figlassed etc.

If you're going to keep it for a v long time things to look out for would be exhaust bits, pistons (engine?), unbroken airbox - v rare, original pegs and the old chesnut - an unbent alloy front stay. I know mine is a Sammy Miller one, and I have a sump guard to fit, but I believe in contemporary after market stuff being OK. Good Luck! I obviously have a PDF manual, but I would guess you've found that.

Edited by oldplugger