TY250A Fuel Line

bengtphorqs

My TY250A is hard starting, and it's because it is starved for fuel. The fuel just isn't flowing from the tank to the carb like it should. New fuel line, new Mikuni carb,tank was drained and cleaned, petcock filters cleaned. Apparently something is causing the fuel to not flow into the carb bowl like it should. Any suggestions?

I don't think the vent should be a problem when starting the motor, it would enentualy lean the flow but on a longer run. New Mikuni? As the problem started when the new carb was installed ? Can you try the old carb if it was still working and see if your problrm is solve? Is the sparkplug wet or dry ? Sorry I rered your post is the filter installed the correct way ( flow from thank to carb ), that could append to the best of us :(

Guy

When dealing with the old Ty250A start with the simple things first and then progress. All the items are usually quick fix.

1 Disconnect the fuel line from the petcock, check flow on ALL settings. It is quite common for the old fuel to have dried up inside the petcock leaving a gummy or solid red residue. You will need to clean this out with a wire or dentists pick and then follow up with compressed air. Being a steel tank there may be rust flakes inside the petcock that have got through the filter gauze.

2 If you have a good positive flow reconnect the fuel line and assuming you have fitted an "in-line" filter check to see how it works.

you can run the fuel into a clean can for about 1/4 gallon and see if the flow diminishes. If it does try the same operation with the tank cap OFF.

3 If all is good at this stage remove the carb and then undo the float bowl. With the bowl off raise the floats and watch the cut off valve close, gently lower the floats and see if the valve opens. This mechanism can OFTEN STICK in both new and old carbs. If it is sticking then slide out the rod and catch the barrel which will fall free. A very light touch up with emery should have it working freely.

If you didn't fit an in line filter when rebuilding the bike do so NOW and before putting the carb back on blow out the pilot jet and choke circuit.

Tony

The tank vent is clear. The tank is shiny clean in the inside and was thoroughly inspected and tested when I did the refurb. Petcock in tank screens were cleaned thoroughly. A new fuel line has been installed but I must sheepishly admit I neglected to add an inline filter. That will be addressed.

I think the float bowl will be removed, cleaned, and all the jets blown out with compressed air. I've rebuilt the Bings on my R90/6 several times so I'm familiar with the general care and feeding of carbs, but overlooked that one component. Must have been having a senior moment.

Thanks for all the good information!