Kick Start Spring

camer0n

Hey i recently put a new kick start spring in my bike. i put the bike back together and put 450ml of ATF into it i gave it a kick and the kick start spring came out of its holes and dug its self in to a plastic gear. i cannot move the kickstart and cannot remove the spring. how would i remove the spring.

http://img827.imageshack.us/i/img00005201102151635.jpg/

Edited by camer0n

Can you put the bike in gear and roll the bike so that the gears separate and release the spring. You may be able to de-torque the basket lock- nut if you put it in top gear, park it up against a wall, apply both brakes, get an extra pair of hands with a long handled bar + socket or an air impact. DAMHIK. (79 TY175 with 2010 NOS clutch basket) Alternately buy a clutch holding tool. Your cheap trials friends will love to borrow it and it looks cool in your toolbox. B)

Jonny.

As far as I can tell from the photo there isn't a plastic gear back there, you should be able get the spring free by rotating the clutch backwards

As yamty175 says, a air impact gun is the easiest way to undo the nut. Trying to get the nut undone using the back brake normally doesn't work

Are you sure you didn't miss seating something properly when reassembling things

Owch!!!!! gutted for you :(

If you try turning the the clutch basket clockwise it should release the spring from the gears or if not try putting the kick start back on and turn that clockwise, your going to need a new spring http://www.splatshop.co.uk/sherco-kick-starting-spring.html and you need to check both gears that the spring has jammed up in as it will more than likely caused some damage to them both, you might be lucky and get away with it but definitely check them.

The spring will more than likely have come off due to it been incorrectly installed, I'll try and dig out a photo showing the correct position for the shaft and gear.

Problem sotred had to take off the clutch basket and the spring just fell out. When i bought the bike it never had a spring in it and this might of happened to him. Never bothered putting a new spring back in as the hole it sits on on the engine casing is causing the spring to jump out. The bike seems to be running fine now. The clutch also is better now must be the new oil.

Edited by camer0n