scorpa 280

jackson

Anybody got the new scorpa or had a go on one ? like the look of them and read all of the tests in various mags etc,but would like a punters view thanks in advance.

One of our local SR Expert riders has one and states he likes it over his 4RT ?

I have not had a go as yet, yet want one! :rolleyes:

Hi

I have had a Scorpa 280 for about 2 months. I will qualify my comments by saying that I'm a 51 year old very average rider not particularly skillful but with 20 odd years experience of riding trials. My 3 previous bikes were Beta Rev3 models but I've also ridden recent Evo and Gas Gas Pro models.

Scorpa Good Points:

1. It has a forward weight bias which makes it very easy to steer. I seem to have trouble pushing the front end on a tight turn on the Beta and Gas Gas. The Scorpa is very easy to steer on a tight lock but is not too twitchy at the front.

2. As a consequence of 1. it is relatively easy to hop the back end - not that I can use this technique very effectively. Also as a consequence of 1. it is good at climbing steep hills.

3. The suspension seems to be very good at soaking up rocks and steps without bottoming out.

4. The engine is very grippy but compared to a Rev 3 with a flywheel weight it will break traction if you rev it, you have to back it off to find grip.

5. The quality of components like the swinging arm and the plastics is good.

Scorpa Bad Points:

1. Because of the forward weight bias it is a bit harder to float the front end over rocks and you have to consciously move your weight back more to keep the front end light. (2 sides of the same coin).

2. The clip to hold the air-filter in place is very fiddly to use and you do have to be careful not to get water in the airbox when washing the bike. I also find it annoying having to take the rear mudguard off to clean the air-filter.

3. The fuel tap doesn't have a reserve and the off and on positions are counter-intuitive.

I'm not sure if this is a general problem but my bike was originally very hard to start when hot. The dealer has changed a number of electrical components including the stator and the regulator which seems to have cured the problem now.

Best Regards

Sam.