348 TS Tanks

lee harris

Over here there was not cover. Tghe tank7seat unit included the tank. matey boy has no aluminium tank below his plastic tank and that is leaking. the 30 mio $ question now is, can you buy the alu tanks underneath. i didnt find it in the Sado M catalog!

Lee,

there was no alloy tank on this bikes over here in this country when they came out.I think it was only in the U.K.In this country only the 247 had a alloy tank underneth.I'am not shure but it could be that they remanufactured in spain.I know that they make replicas for the Bulto's.May you ask these people.

Chrs:Mike

I have been told that the aluminium fuel tanks were for all UK imports, as regulations at the time prevented the use of fibreglass/plastic tanks.

BP,

You are correct. UK legislation at the time prevented the importation of bikes with plastic or purely fibreglass tanks. The 348's that were shipped within the EU (not UK) and USA/Worldwide had a conformal one piece fibreglass tank. The UK legislation at the time meant UK imports had the alum tank with a glass cover. In some ways, it may be better, because the current high levels of ethanol in unleaded petrol can cause issues with older plastic and F/glass tanks, as the vapour leaches through the porosity of the material and degrades it quite rapidly (That's why most modern tank stickers on plastic tanks have a hole punched effect - it allows the gas to vent and stops the stickers peeling off the tank). Unfortunately, I have 2 all glass tanks that need to be sealed, but they will need to vent for at least a couple of weeks before I can treat them. I'll let you know how it goes? That said, 30 yr old alloy may have the same sort of porosity? There must be plenty out there who have faced the same issue?

Regards

RMM

Edited by ReallyMadMonty