Replacing a broken tyre valve

curt531

well my first attempt at changing a broken valve in my rear wheel on my GG TXT PRO 250 went very well !

Once the tyre was off it was clear that the previouse owner had issues with air leaking from just about everywhere judging by how much sikoflex & silicone was spread all round the rim! I cleaned the rim completly with cellulose thinners until it was like new clean, inside & outside all round the spokes to get rid of globs of silicone around them. Next was a new rim rubber with built in valve from BVM in stroud ( where i got the bike from ) then i watched the American dude on youtube telling you how you should fit the new rim tape with some washing up liquid & water, next i cleaned the tyre bead with brake cleaner to make sure all the contact points were completly grease free, again used the water & wash liquid to lube the tyre before fitting it back on the rim.Inflating the tyre was the tricky bit ! ended up using a tie down strap round the circumference of the tyre to squeese the bead to seal, once we got some air in it took about 50 psi to get it on the rim & seated then let it down to 30 psi. Checked with soapy water & NO LEAKS :thumbup:

Once it's let down to running pressure we will see if it was completly succesfull but all the signs are good !

I'll keep ypu posted. :icon_salut:

You have done well getting all bits nice and clean and if it stays up you should be good. I have tried the ratchet strap route with mixed results!! Very scary when the strap snaps. Just dont have other people around cos the language normally gets a bit blue!

So, tip of the day is to remove valve internal, lightly spin on locking nut so you dont push valve inside the tyre then inflate with air line. Pushes tyre straight up on to rim.

So, tip of the day is to remove valve internal, lightly spin on locking nut so you dont push valve inside the tyre then inflate with air line. Pushes tyre straight up on to rim.

Your right, I forot to mention I did remove the valve inner while inflating,you can't get the air in fast enough witch is what you need with tubeless tyres. The trick with the strap is once the tyre seals & starts to in flate let it back down & remove the strap it should just inflate ok once the strap is removed. :thumbup:

Just to follow up my thread, used the bike at the weekend, let the tyre down to 4psi, used it all day with no leeks or issues :D stood over night & still no problems.......success !!! not such a big deal really if you do the job right :thumbup: