Hiro 320 Engine

gaff

Just bought myself a new (old) toy, a 1983 Armstrong 320 (what i packed up on when i was but a kid) with the Hiro engine.

And wanted to know what fuel i should use (i use Shell Optimax in my 315R), what ratio of fuel/oil mix and what oil to use in the engine ?

Any tip's and advice (excluding "sell it !"), and help with spares would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Gaff.

I remember Nick Jefferies riding a works CCM 350 up "Grand Canyon" at the SCOTT Trial in the late seventies. He made it up the section, with barely any revs at the top. I've still got a photo of Nick with his CCM at the finish of that SCOTT talking to Richie Sunter.

Darlo

I believe that in 1983 our lad Curt Comer rode an Armstrong CCM Hiro trials bike in the scottish. (here they were called Can-Am) The way the story goes is he had smashed the clutch cover into bits and rode the trial with percious little gear oil in it and mud entering the crankcase at will, but I don't recall if he finished or not. It sounds like they were pretty tough to break. The few times I rode one I was struck with how front heavy it seemed and that I could hardly get the front end off the ground. They sure did look pretty though with all the red and the white sides on the tank. Should be alot of nice examples of the Can-Am around because they did not sell well here. Many never did sell and are probably sitting around some shed in Butte Montana or someplace right now. Pretty bikes! Let us know how it goes with you new toy Gaff. Jay L.

I had a 320 when they came out and although I liked it I never really got on with it too well.

Biggest problem on them was that if you hit the bashplate hard when going up rock steps or whatever it could shear off the pins on the selector drum leaving you stranded with no gears. Happened to me once at the bottom of a nice welsh ravine (where else - never happens by the carpark does it) My mate had to two me back after the trial on his 242 Mont and it nearly killed it pulling me, him and the 320 up the hillside.

Nice bike, just don't go slamming it up rock steps.......

I don't know but it happened to more than one of them. When I did mine I took it to Gaskell's and he knew immediately what had broken and why. Stripping the engine confirmed it and he had a friend who could TIG new pins back on to save on the cost of a new drum. He'd done a few.

Never happened on the 250 I had before though. That got hammered up a few steps and bounced back off a few as well.