Fork Oil

legionnair

Hey Guys

I am changing the oil on my 2008 txt 250

I am very familiar with rebuilding Marz on mountain bikes and the principles are very similar.

My question is oil type, more specific can I sub ATF for fork oil. It comes down to a cost thing ATF is like $4-5/L where fork oil is 15-20$/L

Thanks Guys

Dustin

Hey Guys

I am changing the oil on my 2008 txt 250

I am very familiar with rebuilding Marz on mountain bikes and the principles are very similar.

My question is oil type, more specific can I sub ATF for fork oil. It comes down to a cost thing ATF is like $4-5/L where fork oil is 15-20$/L

Thanks Guys

Dustin

Dustin,

I would think that ATF would work. It's about 7.5 weight, which is right in the ballpark for recommended viscosity rating for the Zokes. It also has good lubricity and anti-foaming additives like regular fork oil. Give it a try and see if you like it. Be aware that the Marzocchi's need to be set with oil level and not oil volume.

Jon

Dustin,

I would think that ATF would work. It's about 7.5 weight, which is right in the ballpark for recommended viscosity rating for the Zokes. It also has good lubricity and anti-foaming additives like regular fork oil. Give it a try and see if you like it. Be aware that the Marzocchi's need to be set with oil level and not oil volume.

Jon

Thanks Jon, I know all about the Zoke oil heights there mountain bike line of forks have been set that way since the late 90s. 160mm+ or - 2mm as per spec. Well I am going to give it a try. I have done some research and it looks like the mobile 1 ATF is use alot by other riders in enduros. I will update after acouple of rides.

Later

Dustin