Swingarm Spndle removal

vmeldrew

Hi

I am in the process of replacing all the back end bearings on my 07 pro, The suspension linkage has come apart wihout too many problems. Not a spot of grease anywhere and rusty needle rollers everywhere.

Fixing this will give me one less excuse for being crap!

There is some play in the swing arm bushes so they are coming off too.

I undid the one end with the allen bolt, noticed two allen bolts at the rear of the engine that look like they are clamping the spindle. Removed them, gave the spindle a gentle tap and nothing. Gave it a big tap and nothing. Opened the clamps a little, still no movement. I am now about to use a plug socket as a drift and a lump hammer. Before I get too angry with it, have I forgotten something? Should I not be hitting it, or do I need to eat more shredded wheat?

Cheers

Al

Edited by VMeldrew

Hi

I am in the process of replacing all the back end bearings on my 07 pro, The suspension linkage has come apart wihout too many problems. Not a spot of grease anywhere and rusty needle rollers everywhere.

Fixing this will give me one less excuse for being crap!

There is some play in the swing arm bushes so they are coming off too.

I undid the one end with the allen bolt, noticed two allen bolts at the rear of the engine that look like they are clamping the spindle. Removed them, gave the spindle a gentle tap and nothing. Gave it a big tap and nothing. Opened the clamps a little, still no movement. I am now about to use a plug socket as a drift and a lump hammer. Before I get too angry with it, have I forgotten something? Should I not be hitting it, or do I need to eat more shredded wheat?

Cheers

Al

Al,

I'd try some penetrating oil to see if that helps. You need to be fairly gentle as that spindle is aluminum.

Sometimes loosening the engine mounting bolts and/or sump guard bolts will "relax" the hold the engine case has on the spindle (the engine is a "stressed member" part of the frame). It will also make it easier to line up the spindle end when you re-install it. There is a special tool that threads into the spindle and makes it a snap to align the spindle end into the frame hole but you probably can do it without the tool. I made a couple of these tools and they really help if you are doing this job now and then.

Jon

I made two heavy-duty shop spindle tools but also this little short one I carry in the toolbox in the bike trailer. You can screw it in the end of the spindle and tap the spindle out. It also works as a leverage tool to draw the spindle end into the frame hole upon re-assembly.

Jon

post-2532-0-71929200-1302140232.jpg

post-2532-0-74531300-1302140253.jpg