1970 Plonker

dekon

Hello all,

I am tring to get my father's 1970 Plonker going again. A litle background information. While riding it, the chain came off and jammed in the side case. Damage, a broken crankshaft and a gear(4th) in the transmission. Well, I had the engine repaired by someone who deals with Spanish bikes. Now, when I go to put the bike into first gear, it seems like it is going into 3rd gear. Seems as if this is the only gear I can get it into. I can not get first. Also, when I pull in the clutch, it makes a slight grinding noise at first and then stops. Anyone have an idea what is up?

Thanks

Just a guess but it sounds like you need to check the shimming on the tranny. Also I believe there is about 3 small roller bearings that your might want to take a look at plus any other obvious defects. There are also specs for the shifter forks and drum. In all until all is within specs it's hard to really say for sure. One other item to check is when fitting the cases together the shifter spring can get into the wrong place and simply jam up the works. You can see this with the clutch case off and sometimes pop it into the right location with a screw driver through the kick start shaft hole.

• 3 months later...