Crusader front hub

jimmitchell

Jim

If you have a big lathe , you can make the 6in full width a single side,just turn off the blank hollow side,

you will need the spoke ring from your model g hub on the small side.

makes a alloy hub that works quite well,

Hi Guy's

Or you could , (If you have a big lathe) just get a lump of alloy (correct grade) and turn the complete hub Mike?

Regards Charlie.

Would that be a pre 65 lump of alloy ????????????????????????????????

Edited by motomike

Hi Mike

Sadly no access to a lathe. If I can find someone to do the job, how would the spoke ring be secured?

Hi Charlie

I have often wondered how the friction surface is secured to the inside of a home made hub assemble. Is it a case of freezer and oven?

Enjoy your Otter site and your engineering skills - you make it all look so simple. Perhaps when you have the time, (!!!) you could do a piece on manufacturing such a hub.

Thanks again

Jim

Hi Mike

Sadly no access to a lathe. If I can find someone to do the job, how would the spoke ring be secured?

Hi Charlie

I have often wondered how the friction surface is secured to the inside of a home made hub assemble. Is it a case of freezer and oven?

Enjoy your Otter site and your engineering skills - you make it all look so simple. Perhaps when you have the time, (!!!) you could do a piece on manufacturing such a hub.

Thanks again

Jim

Jim

The spoke rim can be a nice slide fit,on a machined shoulder,

remember the hole locations in relation to the other side are important,

if you use the freeezer oven method ,you MUST get it in the correct position,

so a slide fit will allow the wheel builder to get it right,

once the wheel spokes are laced in ,it cant move,

look at many older speedway hubs,especialy the nylon ones,

they had both sides a loose fit.

the main advantage is the brake plate fits the fork leg,and the width is right.

If you have a big lathe,it is not such a big job.

It is a long time since I did this job,

but I think you will have three holes to either weld up or put rubber grommets in,

if you look inside your standard hub you will see.in the centre wall.

Mike

Edited by motomike

Hi Guy's

Hi Jim I am glad you enjoy the, bsaotter.com site.

You know what I am like, I try to fit to much in. But that is a good Idea! I should make a hub, as I need one for the SQ-Otter project. And I have the privilege of a BIG lathe to use. And yes I would shrink in the brake surface liner, although some are made with Fast threads. So although I have got the ultimate C15 trials engine to build, for the site, I now also have a alloy hub to machine. Watch the space on the Otter site. Mike very interesting how you Mod that hub. :thumbup:

Regards Charlie.

Hi Guy's.

Hi Jim,

The front and rear hubs along with the forks (modified), came from a "Petite Metisse". The frame was modified (steering head), by a ex works Royal Enfield rider, before we got it. A later swinging arm is fitted, and I made up various stainless and alloy parts, for the frame, on the lines of the Gaunt bike. The engine has a one off alloy barrel, that was discarded by Hitchcocks, for a machining mistake, we corrected this and fitted a steel liner. the rest of the engine (in bits) after I had modified the crankcases etc, was then taken to Ray Tew at Alcester, who is renowned for his work on Crusader engines( he was in the engine development shop at Redditch). He had the head welded re-ported and re machined. Every bearing housing was line bored,etc he also modified the clutch, but rejected the Villiers main shaft and clutch center we got for him. We gave him a new Electrex ignition to fit, and although he had never fitted one before, it came back perfectly timed for a trials motor, and runs like a sewing machine. Nearly every part in the engine was modified in some way by Ray with his vast knowledge and experience with this engine type. All I can say is that if I can get my ultimate C15 engine, running anything like as good as the Enfield motor that Ray built, It will be Good. I still have a few jobs on the bike to finnish it to my satisfaction, and I think it may need gearing down a tad. Ray would not gear the motor down for reliability isues. so it looks like a bigger back sprocket, which is a shame. I will keep you posted Jim, and slip a few details onto the "Otter" site. :thumbup:

Regards Charlie.

Hi Guy's

Hi Jim I am glad you enjoy the, bsaotter.com site.

You know what I am like, I try to fit to much in. But that is a good Idea! I should make a hub, as I need one for the SQ-Otter project. And I have the privilege of a BIG lathe to use. And yes I would shrink in the brake surface liner, although some are made with Fast threads. So although I have got the ultimate C15 trials engine to build, for the site, I now also have a alloy hub to machine. Watch the space on the Otter site. Mike very interesting how you Mod that hub. :thumbup:

Regards Charlie.

Just a suggestion but you could have bsaotter.com as your signature.

(go into your profile, click change signature)

Ross