2003 Rev 3 270

dekon

I am going to be going to look at a 2003 Beta Rev3 270. Are there any problem areas I should look for? Also, this is going to be my first "modern" trials bike, so is this a good choice? Also, can you get parts for them? Thanks for the help.

good bike, a bit powerful though. the only thing to check is that the gearbox oil is nice and clear as they were prone to the side casing corroding and all the coolant enters the gearbox.

Ask them if it has had the coolant mod done, if they say yes, ask what parts were replaced?, it should have had a left hand side casing.

rev3, Thanks for the reply. I need something with some power to haul my bulk around. The water pump cover problem is a major concern for me. I want a bike that is reliable and will have a minimum amount of problems. Maybe I can use the corrosion problem as a barginning point if it has not been corrected.

Many years of the beta's have had the water pump problem. It can be fixed with parts and the correct coolant.

The bike is 8 years old so expect everything to be warn out a fair amount and if you are really fussy it'll be costly to bring it all back to 'nice'. Check wheel bearings, swing arm bearings, throttle slop, head bearings, rattle in the engine. Heck check everything and take a friend to look at it.

The 270 really is a powerful bike. Beware it can be difficult to ride. Many 'big' guys get on fine with a 200 or 250cc bike.

I totally agree with the above comments, i'm 16 stone and my 200 is more than powerful enough, ive had big bikes in the past and seem to get real knackered too quick.

I agree i am 16st and ride a 250 and it is more than powerful enough, as a newbie i find my self flipping it regular and usually use 1st gear for most things other than long/steep hill climbs etc. I rode my friends sherco 290 which is a 272cc bike and this was too much power for me, it wore me out and could easy bite you hard if you wern't careful. If you have had trials bikes before maybe a 270cc would suit you fine

Adam

Thanks for the straight up answers. Looks like I'll be looking for a 250 rather than the 270. I did look at the bike and it was in real nice shape, has not been riden in the last four years. The water pump cover problem was corrected. I did ride it and it seemed to have as much "pull" as my CR250. But, MX is totally different than Trials. Definitely glad I asked here before I went out and bought it.