03 280 txt pro

varadero

hello, I just bought a 03 280 txt pro today, the bike has been seriously neglected, one of the problems it has is that the bottom of the carburettor was rubbing of the crankcase and has worn a hole through it. Is this a common occurrence and what is the best remedy.

I have thought of using a chemical weld or getting it welded properly. Maybe a temporary repair untill I know for sure that the rest of the engine is ok. The fan is also wired to run constant , is this ok or should i wire it up properly. thanks

I would presume this might me a Kiehin PWK28 carb if it is hitting that hard? Nwe bowl in order here. They are available.

Sounds as though a new thermo switch is in order as well. Lot cheaaper than burning out the fan motor! :thumbup:

'03 280 was a wicked fast beast as I recall!

Edited by copemech

I would presume this might me a Kiehin PWK28 carb if it is hitting that hard? Nwe bowl in order here. They are available.

Sounds as though a new thermo switch is in order as well. Lot cheaaper than burning out the fan motor! :thumbup:

'03 280 was a wicked fast beast as I recall!

Thanks for the reply, The carb is fine , it has worn a hole through the crankcase and it is throwing out oil when running.

I was thinking or wondering should there be something to hold the carb up and away from the crankcase.

Thanks for the reply, The carb is fine , it has worn a hole through the crankcase and it is throwing out oil when running.

I was thinking or wondering should there be something to hold the carb up and away from the crankcase.

If the carb is stock, it's a Dellorto VHST flat-slide, used only on the 03' models. I've not heard of one rubbing a hole in the case before. Sometimes, if the carb is tilted off center too much, the floatbowl will contact the case. You can get a spacer from your dealer that will raise the carb up to clear the case and I would think that some good epoxy would work to seal the case hole as it's probably not in a critical machined/load-bearing area (flush the engine out well).

Jon

If the carb is stock, it's a Dellorto VHST flat-slide, used only on the 03' models. I've not heard of one rubbing a hole in the case before. Sometimes, if the carb is tilted off center too much, the floatbowl will contact the case. You can get a spacer from your dealer that will raise the carb up to clear the case and I would think that some good epoxy would work to seal the case hole as it's probably not in a critical machined/load-bearing area (flush the engine out well).

Jon

yes you are correct, it is a Dellorto vhst carb, I havent done any further investigating into the problem yet, (finishing a 315r project) but as it is the carb can be lifted up away from the crankcase with relative ease. Normally the carb is well supported by the airbox and the inlet to the cylinder, I will pull out the engine and repair the hole , flush it out and make sure i have some clearance when i put it back together

yes you are correct, it is a Dellorto vhst carb, I havent done any further investigating into the problem yet, (finishing a 315r project) but as it is the carb can be lifted up away from the crankcase with relative ease. Normally the carb is well supported by the airbox and the inlet to the cylinder, I will pull out the engine and repair the hole , flush it out and make sure i have some clearance when i put it back together

I'd check the manifold to be sure it's not cracked on the side you can't see.

I can't see just how and to what extent the case is damaged but you might be able to repair it without pulling the engine.

Several fill/run/flush sessions with ATF (running, not riding and putting a load on the engine) would probably clean out swarf. You might also want to take the clutch cover off and remove the spring in the clutch. It acts like a "filter" and collects small pieces of metal/gunk in the engine that are not steel-based (which are collected by the magnets on the drain plugs).

I would use a small pointed piece of wood stuck in the hole to act as a plug while you are working, clean/rough up the area with a Dremel tool, use contact cleaner on the area, blow off the area with compressed air, pull the wood and use a very small piece of metal larger than the hole to restrict the flow of epoxy.

Jon

I'd check the manifold to be sure it's not cracked on the side you can't see.

I can't see just how and to what extent the case is damaged but you might be able to repair it without pulling the engine.

Several fill/run/flush sessions with ATF (running, not riding and putting a load on the engine) would probably clean out swarf. You might also want to take the clutch cover off and remove the spring in the clutch. It acts like a "filter" and collects small pieces of metal/gunk in the engine that are not steel-based (which are collected by the magnets on the drain plugs).

I would use a small pointed piece of wood stuck in the hole to act as a plug while you are working, clean/rough up the area with a Dremel tool, use contact cleaner on the area, blow off the area with compressed air, pull the wood and use a very small piece of metal larger than the hole to restrict the flow of epoxy.

Jon

Ya I guess your right about not pulling the engine, if I take the carb off it should give me enough of room to fill the hole, I have a couple of gallons of hydraulic fluid that i have no use for could i use that to flush the engine a few times before a final flush wit atf fluid, Anyway thanks for the help and ill let ye know how i get on