gearbox sherco 290 year 2006

mike1969

Hello,My name is Mike,recently my gearbox on my sherco 290 is playing up,get 1st and 2nd gear no problems,having dificulty finding the rest,lat time i was out on it before this happened,bike was running fine...can any one help.

Edited by mike1969

Hello,My name is Mike,recently my gearbox on my sherco 290 is playing up,get 1st and 2nd gear no problems,having dificulty finding the rest,lat time i was out on it before this happened,bike was running fine...can any one help.

Did you take a hard hit on the shift lever? :rolleyes:

There is a possibility that the selector return spring has broken, in which case, you do not want to operate the bike as the broken bit may get cought up in things and cause further damage. Get the clutch side off now for inspection.

Spring is cheap, primary drive gears are not! :rolleyes:

Edited by copemech

• 3 months later...

Did you take a hard hit on the shift lever? :rolleyes:

There is a possibility that the selector return spring has broken, in which case, you do not want to operate the bike as the broken bit may get cought up in things and cause further damage. Get the clutch side off now for inspection.

Spring is cheap, primary drive gears are not! :rolleyes:

Hey mike1969, I was wondering if you solved the problem you had with the gears. I have got exactly the same issue with my 2004 290. It seems that if after going in to 2nd I gently return the gear lever to the centre, ie push it down slightly I am able to select 3rd and so on each time I want to go up a gear. Seems like a centering spring is not doing its job properly? Just wondered how you got on.