1999 315 Cota Cooling Fan

sundance1

Well I finally after a few weeks on and off, got my late brothers 315 to tick over. Ticks over on the 2nd kick each every time now. I think my inexperience was the culprit besides probably a desperately needed carb cleaning. For all the new 315 owners out there.... The choke lever needs to be pushed up in the vertical position and not to assume pushing it up 1/4 of the way has activated the choke!

Now that I have it running well, I have noticed the cooling fan is mostly always on when riding and only stops running when the bike is idling. Does this sound correct?

How would I know if the bike is over heating?

Thanks

Fres

Depends how you're riding it. I do some riding on mine up in the French Alps and it's more trail than trial. The fan runs a lot under those circumstances.. When I'm using the bike for what it was designed, the fan cuts in and out periodically (but a lot less) just like you'd assume it should.

The cooling systems are small, and designed for purpose. Check your rad, make sure it's topped up. You'll have to take the tank off to get to the rad cap. There's also stories of fans running, but not up to full speed due to electrical faults. So you assume all is well with the fan when in fact, it's not sucking enough air through the rad. Is the fan nice and quiet, all the fins intact?