Replacing a 4 RT clutch

tgh30

Hi all,

I have a 2006 montesa 4RT. I do all my own maintenance but the time has come that I think my clutch plates have seen better days. I've never attempted to replace a clutch in a 2 stroke let alone a four stroke. How easy is it? Do I need any special tools? Is their anything I should consider or prepare for before I start? Finally what should I buy, plates, springs, gaskets? Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Tim

Not sure why you want to change plates but I think dead easy if I can recall without looking at the manual.

Just take off smaller cover on clutch case -o ring seal so no gasket needed.

Undo several small bolts (6 or 8) holding pressure plate on - undo several turns alternating as you would with wheel nuts.

Plate comes off, clutch plates lift out.

Repeat in reverse to re assemble.

Not sure why you want to change plates but I think dead easy if I can recall without looking at the manual.

Just take off smaller cover on clutch case -o ring seal so no gasket needed.

Undo several small bolts (6 or 8) holding pressure plate on - undo several turns alternating as you would with wheel nuts.

Plate comes off, clutch plates lift out.

Repeat in reverse to re assemble.

Hi jimmy, thanks for the response. The bike won't start in neutral, is hard to get into neutral, clutch squeals when slipped in second or above and worst of all it grabs like mad. I'm figuring the plates are original and the bike s a 06.

I don't have my Montesa, or it's manual, anymore, but I remember replacing the stock steel plates with Jitsie plates (made a big improvement). The clutch was much more effort to change than a 2-stroke clutch. Check your shop manual before starting the job. If I remember right, you need to be able to hold the clutch housing to remove a very tight central nut.

I don't have my Montesa, or it's manual, anymore, but I remember replacing the stock steel plates with Jitsie plates (made a big improvement). The clutch was much more effort to change than a 2-stroke clutch. Check your shop manual before starting the job. If I remember right, you need to be able to hold the clutch housing to remove a very tight central nut.

Thanks cyclist, yes I got a manual today and the manual say a clutch removal tool is required. I haven't taken the side of the case off yet to have a look but am wondering if the clutch removal tool is a threads screw that tightens on opposite thread or a special device.

Otherwise it looks quite straight forward. Were the jitsie plates good?

Tim

Thanks cyclist, yes I got a manual today and the manual say a clutch removal tool is required. I haven't taken the side of the case off yet to have a look but am wondering if the clutch removal tool is a threads screw that tightens on opposite thread or a special device.

Otherwise it looks quite straight forward. Were the jitsie plates good?

Tim

I think the clutch removal tool is to hold the basket while you break the nut loose in the center. I accomplished it by blocking the rear wheel & putting it in gear to keep it from turning, but it wasn't easy. Could probably use an air impact but it would be impossible to accurately retorque that way.

The Jitsie plates were inexpensive and made the clutch less grabby/abrupt. I would definitely recommend them. I never tried a Mitani clutch so I don't know how that would compare.

-Scott

I made a tool to hold clutch but couldn't remember if it was needed to change plates. If center nut needs to come off - which I/m not sure of as would imagine it holds the basket and not pressure plate - then full case needs to come off and water pipes need to be connected. I made a tool out of a bit of ally plate that bolted onto 3 of the clutch spring mounting holes - again makes me think center nut can stay on for plate change. - and bolted a bit of 25mm box as a handle that was long enough to rest on footrest to lock it all in place.