spark plugs problems

crazyrickuk

Hi all, I have a problem with my 97 gasgas jtx2560 eating spark plugs.

I use the bp6es NGK plugs (as recommended). My problem I have is they tend to "oil up" and die.

The thing that springs to mind as the root cause is the fuel mixture.

Im using unleaded fuel with asda own 2 stroke oil (could this be the problem?) with a ratio of 70:1.

Does this ratio sound about right? I find im going through a plug every 3-4 hours of usage (normally out for an hour at a time).

Can anybody help?

Best Regards,

Richard.

Are you getting a lot of smoke and oil out the exhaust? If the mixture is too rich you will be getting smoke that tends to be black. Oil smoke tends to be more white or light blue.

It could be that the crank seal between the crankcase and gearbox is bad and you are burning transmission oil.

Do Asda do a 2 stroke oil! If so is it definatly Pre-Mix?

Either way i wouldn't touch it. get online and get something like PJ1, Putoline, Castrol all good quality oils and not that expensive.

S0 yep that really could be the reason.

Also try running higher Octane fuel. 96,97 RON Most petrol stations offer a higher RON fuel.

Hi there, I read the reply from one 1oldbanjo and I think they may be right. I had a 1992 Gt 250 which did the same ate plugs and it also smoked a lot. It turned out to be the seal at the back of the water pump and my water pump had dissintegrated (never did find it!) the seal is easy to change. With its new seal and water pump never given any more trouble and plugs are lasting normal duration as a friend now has the bike and he is well pleased with it.

Hi all, I have a problem with my 97 gasgas jtx2560 eating spark plugs.

I use the bp6es NGK plugs (as recommended). My problem I have is they tend to "oil up" and die.

The thing that springs to mind as the root cause is the fuel mixture.

Im using unleaded fuel with asda own 2 stroke oil (could this be the problem?) with a ratio of 70:1.

Does this ratio sound about right? I find im going through a plug every 3-4 hours of usage (normally out for an hour at a time).

Can anybody help?

Best Regards,

Richard.

Richard,

You probably want to change to a BPR5ES plug (or better yet, a BPR5EIX) set to .6mm gap. The "6" generally is better in the air-cooled Trials models which run a little hotter. 70/1 premix is fine and you'll find that a full-synthetic oil burns cleaner, as opposed to a synthetic-blend or mineral base oil.

Since your bike is 14+ years old and probably has been run in fairly "rough" conditions as Trials bikes usually are, it might be a good idea to "service" the electrical system by cleaning the connections and grounds, cutting 5mm off the end of the plug wire that goes into the plug cap (provides new contact) and generally checking things over to make sure the system is putting out power as best it can.

Jetting should be in the neighborhood of:

MAIN: 114

PILOT: 36 (38 OK)

NEEDLE: D36 (2nd CLIP POSITION DOWN FROM THE TOP)

SLIDE: 60

FUEL SCREW: 3.5 TURNS OUT

FLOAT HEIGHT: ARMS IN LEVEL PLANE WITH FLOAT BOWL BASE (PARALLEL)

GasGas models in that era were designed to run on 95 octane fuel but fuel octane ratings should have little to do with your oiling problem. I'd check jetting to start as that will provide a baseline for other possibilities and always consider the fact that a previous owner may have reamed out the jets with wire to "clean" them and thereby enlarging them. Don't assume a jet is accurate as to it's stamped number if it is a used bike.

Jon

Richard,

You probably want to change to a BPR5ES plug (or better yet, a BPR5EIX) set to .6mm gap. The "6" generally is better in the air-cooled Trials models which run a little hotter. 70/1 premix is fine and you'll find that a full-synthetic oil burns cleaner, as opposed to a synthetic-blend or mineral base oil.

Since your bike is 14+ years old and probably has been run in fairly "rough" conditions as Trials bikes usually are, it might be a good idea to "service" the electrical system by cleaning the connections and grounds, cutting 5mm off the end of the plug wire that goes into the plug cap (provides new contact) and generally checking things over to make sure the system is putting out power as best it can.

Jetting should be in the neighborhood of:

MAIN: 114

PILOT: 36 (38 OK)

NEEDLE: D36 (2nd CLIP POSITION DOWN FROM THE TOP)

SLIDE: 60

FUEL SCREW: 3.5 TURNS OUT

FLOAT HEIGHT: ARMS IN LEVEL PLANE WITH FLOAT BOWL BASE (PARALLEL)

GasGas models in that era were designed to run on 95 octane fuel but fuel octane ratings should have little to do with your oiling problem. I'd check jetting to start as that will provide a baseline for other possibilities and always consider the fact that a previous owner may have reamed out the jets with wire to "clean" them and thereby enlarging them. Don't assume a jet is accurate as to it's stamped number if it is a used bike.

Jon

Jon thank you for this detailed information.

Very much appreciated.

Regards,

Richard

What a brilliant community forum this is.

Someone asks a question and loads of people jump in and help out. This also means the rest of us learn from each other.

Never seen any nastiness :moon: either. That's what you'd expect from the trials fraternity so perhaps I shouldn't be surprised. :thumbup:

It was like this 40 years ago (before internet...) when I was falling off my OSSA MAR and my 320 MAJESTY.

I am well impressed.

Reminds me of the pal who had an RGV 250 which specified a very expensive oil. His neighbour had an RGV too and one day the conversation fell to the price of two stroke oil. The neighbour looked puzzled and said that he just used what he had left over from his old lawnmower...........................

For all that a trials bike uses it is not worth skimping. Remember the days of 16:1 anybody?

16.1 - I thought mine smoked a bit.

I remember the days of 20:1. My dad would bring home a can of 30 weight oil and we would dump it into a 5 gallon can of gas. I can remember the cloud of smoke rising from the starting line at Hare Scrambles and Motocross events.

16 and 20:1...you guys are freakin' ANTIQUE :lol:

I remember 32:1.

Now...I ain't sayin' I don't go back further than that...that's just what I REMEMBER ;)

Awww, Charley, you're not that old. 32:1 is generally standard for the high-performance 2T

MX engines even now.

However, I do miss the smell of BlendZall Gold Label......

Jon