Sherco 50 Air Filtration

madman

Hi guys,does anyone know of a good air filter for the kids sherco 50 as the stock one doesnt look like its capable of filtering anything smaller than gravel. it fits directly onto the dellorto sha carb. there is not much room for anything big as the frame sits very close to the carb inlet. thanks in advance :D

If I remember correctly, that thing is built up from several pieces. Maybe you could take it apart and put a piece of filter foam in it.

I, too, thought it looked flimsey.

I took it off, stretched a piece of oiled shop rag across the throat, and put the filter on over it.

The bike still ran fine---no jetting changes or anything.

Maybe it didn't even help, but it made me feel better. :D

That was one that I never fully resolved to my satisfaction. Space is very limited there. I tried a couple of different air filter foams etc. and never did get it right in my opinion.

What I ended up with at the end, was meticulous cleaning of the element, and it is getting more dirt than you think, and keeping him out of water over the air cleaner.

My procedure was to dip the filter in parts cleaning solvent, soak and agitate, then blow dry it clean with compressed shop air and then lightly oil wipe excess and allow to dry with a aerosol foam filter oil.

I was spraying them out with aerosol carb cleaner. And happened to have a bucket of parts cleaner on the bench. After I thought I had it "clean" I dunked it in the parts cleaner solvent and was suprised at the stuff that came out.

I cleaned ours on a daily basis.

Probably not the answer you were looking for, but it is how we handled that issue on ours.

the problem is a total lack of space

i have a k&n on my dirtbike and it is one of the smaller ones but there would be no way of fitting it to the sherco unless a rubber pipe could be found with a 90 deg bend which could bend it up a bit

I have run my kids Sherco 50 for over two years, when I first saw the filter system I thought it didn't look up to much, so fitted a bit of filter foam in!! it didn't work, the bike wouldn't breath properly so ran poor.

The stock system cleaned and then a foam filter oil applied works well, and when you take the carb off for cleaning it is surprising how well it keeps it clean, just don't over do the filter oil.

Sometimes I miss things I should have seen.

While I was sitting here thinking that there was no way in heck that any K&N was going to fit in the space that is available on a Sherco 50, I had a bit of a flash.

I believe, and will look next time I get a chance, that I remember seeing something that I think (there is a lot of hedging going on here I know) was a K&N little set of round disc filters that you drilled holes in the side of your airbox and popped in one of these little round baby K&N's into.

I am real hazy here, but I believe that they were only about an inch in diameter, but maybe there were bigger ones available???

Anyway, I guess my point would be that you might want to look at airbox vents or something similar in the K&N area rather than at air filters themselves.

Round 2, shows how good my memory is,,,,,,,, :D

I could not find them on the K&N site, so I wrote them and they showed me what I was thinking of on the White brothers site.

http://www.whitebrothers.com/04catalog/Intake.pdf

You have to scoll down and you will find them.

Anyway, that really boils down to the bit of foam in the tract, that I did not have much success with. I was thinking it was a little K&N but obviously I was mistaken.

Anyway, I think you are back again, to taking good care of the stock one and cleaning and oiling it often.

• 3 weeks later...

Alan

I too have a sherco 50 that you made a rear brake pedal for.(excellent job by the way thank you!!)

It had some foam cut into a small round circle and placed in there from the previous owner. I never could get the bike to run right or consistently. It actually ran like it was running lean when common sense would dictate with more air restriction it should run rich!!

After a call to ryan young he said no one has been able to come up with a good fix and that my poor running problem was caused by foam air filter.

He was 100% correct I removed foam and bike runs fine!!! My guess is lean condition was caused by lack of "signal strentgh" to pull adequate fuel through main jet.

I was still not satisfied with air filtration so I went back to an old trick I use on all my other dirt bikes and that is a product called "filter skins" made by PC Racing http://www.pcracingusa.com/index.php

these have worked great and I use them on all bikes to lessen air filter changes since they catch the bigger stuff. Just put a little air filter oil on them and voila!! I even clean them a few times before disposing of them

Finally I also have a bete 50 with the same air filter as the sherco but with more room behind the carb so beta put a little airbox that attatches to the carb. It still only has the same mesh airfilter so I wasnt happy with that setup. As soon as we got the bike I used some of those little 1 inch round airfilters you were talking about and blocked off the open part of the airbox. Now bike breathes through those 1 inch filters. This didn't cause any performance problems on the beta. I did this mod in 5-04 so it was hard for me to believe foam in the aircleaner on the sherco would cause a problem but it did. Thanks Ryan for your help on the sherco!!!!

Hope this helps other people because it was a pain for a while for me!!!

Tom Bledsoe

product called "filter skins" made by PC Racing http://www.pcracingusa.com/index.php

I was reading threough this thread thinking that using a filter skin might be an answer to your problems when I found someone else had suggested the same thing. We used to use them on MX bikes in dusty conditions & they are an excellent idea, working just as the manufactureres say they will. I sometimes went as far as using 2 or 3 skins on a filter & removing the outer one after each race during the day - that was the filter stayed clean until the final race.