Buying Guide 2002 Montesa

sfxer

hi,

this is my first post here, seems to be a pretty good forum so thought id ask my questions in here.

im going to look at a second hand 2002 315r its the first bike i have bought and my only experience with them is my friends 1998 315r which i have spent a lot of time on.

is there and thing i should look out for? and whats the easiest way to tell its an 02 bike?

i have the frame number and its got 02 in it whereas on ebay a 01 315r has 01 in the same place on the number, i take it thats the year then? or is it just a coincidence?

many thanks

Mark

hi,

I have now confirmed from the frame number that this is an 02 bike,

any other tips on what to look for would be appreciated though.

i know that the bash plate can sometimes bend and damage the engine casing, i will be looking for that.

i cant wait to get riding! :D

The only advice I can give after owning 2 Mont's is; check the lower suspension "dog bone" link which is made of ally and can take a battering and ovalise, which in turn lets water past the seals and knackers the bearings. :D (hope that made sense!). The rear silencers are prone to wear, the front inner pipe tends to open up and in turn the silencer becomes loose, this can be exagerated by the mounting rubber and bush being worn.

That's as much as I can suggest other than the usual things to check. Make sure the fan comes on and Mont's don't tend to lose any coolant so check this.

I'm biased but I don't think you can go far wrong with a Mont, yes they might be slightly heavier/wider than others but them so am I! :D

Hope this might help.

Guest Villie

I always wanted a mont for when i was old enough.

Then i got on the pro ;)

I may still want the mont when im old enough, is it an easy transition from lightest to heaviest?

I would love the mont reliabilty like :)

• 10 years later...