Slight clunk in second

reginald

Hi All,

Just been out for a spin on my TL 320 and when loading the bike up in second on decent banks there was a slight clunk - like a quieter version of the a chain jumping the sprocket. 1st was Ok and bike is shifting smoothly etc. I have had the clutch apart recently to change springs and was wondering if the clutch basket nut may have come loose. Would it have those symptoms if this was the case or could the dogs on the gears have worn slightly in second?

Any help appreciated.

Hi All,

Just been out for a spin on my TL 320 and when loading the bike up in second on decent banks there was a slight clunk - like a quieter version of the a chain jumping the sprocket. 1st was Ok and bike is shifting smoothly etc. I have had the clutch apart recently to change springs and was wondering if the clutch basket nut may have come loose. Would it have those symptoms if this was the case or could the dogs on the gears have worn slightly in second?

Any help appreciated.

If the clutch nut was loose it will be making weird noises all the time and the clutch release probably would have gone way out of adjustment

If its only happening in second gear it sounds like it is not fully in gear and the clunk is when it jumps out and back in again. I would check the action of the indexing device that holds the shift drum in position for each gear to see if it is moving freely or maybe has a spring that has lost some of its tension. I don't know where the indexing device is on a Rotax motor but most bikes of that era have a plunger that can be removed from the outside and looks like an extra gearbox drain or fill plug.

Worst case is that the second gear dogs have lost their edge, which would be an exceptionally rare thing to happen on a trials bike.

A left field suggestion is to check the rear sprocket bolts for tightness.

Great thanks heaps Feet up. Geez an international site and the advice comes from just up the road from the Gladstone guru:). The last point you made is not so left field and I looked there straight away. My number two bike has had some heavy mods done to the hub due to this happening and it needing serious repair. Now that you mention this I'm pretty sure it was only happening for the time I rode it continually on my practice section in second and on my no1. bike sometimes it doesn't engage properly and can jump out.... maybe it was a little of that happening. Catch ya.