AMAL Slide Fit?

mcman56

I am looking at using an AMAL concentric on a C15. Overall the carb looks OK. The slide has no visible uneven wear but it is a loose fit in the carb body. It probably has close to 1/6" movement when pushed back and forth, front to back. Is this normal for a 376 carb? If not normal, can I just replace the slide? What is the carb body made of? It is heavy like cast iron.

Correction...this is a mono block. The slide is light like aluminum.

Edited by mcman56

I am looking at using an AMAL concentric on a C15. Overall the carb looks OK. The slide has no visible uneven wear but it is a loose fit in the carb body. It probably has close to 1/6" movement when pushed back and forth, front to back. Is this normal for a 376 carb? If not normal, can I just replace the slide? What is the carb body made of? It is heavy like cast iron.

Correction...this is a mono block. The slide is light like aluminum.

If the slide is at all sloppy esp close to the fully closed position the engine will run like an old dog.I have just fitted a brand new monobloc onto a customers HT5 Ariel,it has totally transformed it - the same as it did my HT about a year ago.An accurate spark and a decent carb work wonders for trials engines where we need to rely on their response so much.

I bought both carbs from Surrey Cycles here in the UK, I have no connection with them other than as a satisfied customer,both carbs arrived next day fully set up and just needed very minor tweaking of the slow running mixture and idle speed screws.

Edited by jon v8

What a wonderful technical phrase "runs like an old dog" is but jonv8 is so right. Correct carburation and ignition is so so important on a trials engine. With a slide rattling around in your carb body like that you Havant got a chance of getting the carburation right. Get a decent carburettor !. The Amal carburettor is cast from a Zinc based alloy called Mazak. If you look at wikipedia it will give you all the technical spec of it.

Pat.

I just thought the old dog bit was more polite then "Bag O sh-te" which is what sprang to mind.My customer collected his HT5 this afternoon which is now behaving perfectly.Just goes to show how a bike made back in 1956 can run like new and do exactly what you ask of it if certain things are set up properly and in good order. :thumbup: