Trials Diary

alan bechard

26 Feb 04

Neat thing happened today, a guy came in to put into service our new used oil heaters. Comes in my office and say's Wow, we were just talking about this kind of bike!

Wanted to know how the scoring worked and if anyone in our area rode them???????

Turns out, that one of the other things he is, is a host on a TV show on the outdoor channel. And him and his buddy / co-host show different types of bike riding as a little sub segment of a car show.

Well, I hope something develops out of this. I offered to take him and his kids out and let them ride. Lets see what comes out of it.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 Feb 04

They will probably make a Star out of Jeff if they see him ride!

Today was an excellent day, beautiful sunshine, nice weather, a ton of help out there making it happen!

We ribboned in with the new white ribbon the outer boundries of 13 of the sections. We have another 9 that I am confident of, so that part looks golden.

I took the 4 wheeler out and the white ribbon and went around the outer perimeter of the sections, hopefully leaving enough room. "The Crew" then went around behind with cutters and saws and manicured the area in the ribbon. Brian even brought out the leaf rake and went at it on several sections.

The Crew and riders today.

Ed, Marty, Doug, Ben, Kevin, Dean Early morning Ride and some cleaning.

The work crew came in later, Joe, Jessie, Clay, Doug with Tractor!!! Tim, Jeff, Brian, Jordan and Dwight.

The little redneck wimped out on me because he was raising his Toyata to ridiculous heights. But Dwight filled in his spot on the entertainment committe!

Brian proceeded to fill in a 3' to 4' deep hole in a section with leaves, then when Jeff hit it the first time, you should have seen his eyes when he hit that hole!

Large pieces of rock can break off when struck from above with a falling 04 Scorpa.

A 1" sapling can be your best friend as that is all that holds you and your new 04 Scorpa from falling sideways 10' into the rocks below.

It is good to ride with lots of friends when you get hollering and laughing at Dwight so hard that you lose your concentration, fall over and find your 235 lbs of fat but stuck under the bike, hanging in the air upside down with the bike pinning your leg and your back is hanging in the air! Took three of them I think to lift me and bike etc. up!

The bridge looks very narrow when viewed from the top of a 4 wheeler.

Dwight fills in very nicely on the entertainment committe when Bruce is unavailable.

Joe said when you tuck your front end underneath when crossing large logs, it hurts.

Tim said "hmmmmm, not sure I want to ride with you guys" after watching Dwight and Jeff flail at section 6.

Dwight said, when you jump up the one Dwight hill and hit neuteral on the top, it gets exciting going back down.

Doug said, my tractor is bigger than your tractor and you would have never been able to move those logs, I said, Yep. (Thanks Doug)

Alan said, Charlie is going to have kinniptions when he sees some of these lines.

Alan said, aahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!, as he stepped backwards off the Champ line into the big sinkhole! Thank you Jessie and Joe for catching the bike by the way.

Joe laughed when he saw that you could ride down the length of the big log, then jump onto the big flat spool, then down the vertical spool to the little spool and out. Then he said, "how you going to mark that?"

Brian cried (just one tear) as he stepped off the back of his freshly painted 200 Montesa Cota doing wheelies in the parking lot! Owwwwww, it even sounded horrible.

Alan said, boy, these logs look a lot bigger here then they did out in the field.

What an incredible work crew was out there today! Chainsaws (that would not run after the first couple cuts, but they were the important ones) clippers being lost, going through ribbon at an amazing rate, these are the things that make it fun. And just being out there with good folks.

Enough drivel for the night.

I will sleep well tonight not only because I am beat, but because we made a huge step forward in being prepared for this event through many folks efforts.

• 3 weeks later...

18 March 04

Things are busy here for me at the moment.

At work, the Division is returning and our work efforts are wide open as we gear them back up to speed. 10 plus hour days and high levels of stress.

As it come's into spring, my wifes lawn care / Landscaping business is kicking into gear, we have expanded again this year with a tractor, some other additional machinery, and are moving from our house to a large storage lot that we rented and needs fenced. (where my last two weekends have gone)

As I am here, I wonder at the wisdom of having moved my event to the spring. There are certainly times where I am regretting that decision.

Doug, Ben and I went out last Tuesday night to mark some sections. It was cold, wet, rainy and dark.

We got one section marked out that we were comfortable with, but the next, we could not figure out how to make it difficult or challenging enough for the Champ and Exhibition riders, yet give the Novice and Sportsman riders a way out.

I think that is one of the biggest challenges facing promoters at the moment. We have so many lines and classes and such a disparity between between skill levels, that finding terrain between the two can sometimes be a challenge.

I have posted to hopefully get a champ rider or two too come out and review the sections prior to the event to insure that I am reasonable yet challenging.

Having set and had the good fortune last year to work with Charlie reviewing the sections we set, the conversations continue to run through my mind, can a novice get out of there? What happens when he gets stuck? Will Joe Schmoe be able to ride that hill? Will they get hurt if something goes wrong?

Got to go, time for work!

23 March 04

I tried to post yesterday, but after fooling around and writing everything, it would not post. Darn I hate wasted effort.

Well, Last Sunday we went out and worked on the event some. It ended up just being the kids and I that were able to show due to other commitments folks had. Work and weather was overwhelming.

It started out as usual with me realizing that the 4 wheeler was out of gas and I had not brought any plain gas with me. After going to the store and getting a can of fuel and filling up the four wheeler, then starting it, I realizeed that the throttle cable had broke! Urrrgthhhhthhthh!!!

Get the kids running and the backpack out and we went out and marked some boundries for sections. I now have all the sections outer boundries ribboned but two. One because it is a stadium section that we will need to work in with the tractors, and one becuase it is in the creek which was running high.

The white ribbon will be nice as I plan on reversing several sections for Sunday. I will use my circus tricks both days I think to keep the action up near the easy spectator stuff.

Things are coming together, but there are only two more weekends available for me to work on the event on.

We have Trials Training Days, the Tennesse round of the National series, and an STRA round at TTC between now and my event. That leaves two open weekends which will be competing for time with the lawncare business, tractor maintenance and restoratiion of the 1948 KB6 International truck that I just bought. Sometimes, I am just not too bright.

The large tent appears to be tracking ok.

Dad plans on being here the week prior to lend a hand, he can be there for the port a pottie guy etc. I have to make a decision on quantity of them. I wonder how many folks will show???? What will the weather be like????? At $55 a piece, you do not want too few nor too many.

We are danger close at this point, what is not done, that is crucial, should be able to be completed, and what is not done, that was a good idea, will get left to be thought about next year!

• 3 weeks later...

9 April 04

The event is just around the corner at this point.

Doug has the bushhogging covered.

I lined up to get the big tent delivered and set on Thursday the 29th.

Working the observer lists, posted to applicable boards and contacted groups. Looks like my Boy Scout idea is not panning out in the least, but at least I have made an attempt, and as with other things, it may come to fruition later.

Probably go out this weekend a little and get some stuff done.

Been trying to get in some Champs for review and have not been successful yet.

Plenty to do, but concentrating mostly on the "must do's" not the things I want to do.

Reaching that point where I will be glad when it is over.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, I type and type then go to post and it will not go through!

Go Figure. I hate computers at times.

My tent guy had to get two of his tents out of storage by last Saturday so we drove down to Nashville and picked them up. Now I have it in my garage, but it is a good feeling having control over it. One less thing on my mind.

I wimped out last Sunday, had Easter dinner at a friends house and fell asleep on the couch. Good friends!

Putting out the pleas to help for this upcoming weekend.

Working on the details now, handout for people coming in, trash bags, stickers for the windshields.

Dad is coming up sometime this week or next to lend a hand. He will help get a lot of the details covered.

Coordinating with the Sign up folks for Both TI and STRA to make it go as smoothly as possible. They will be putting out the pre-event online signup message out here shortly.

Got to get the flyers out to the local area folks that would be interested. It is now time for that.

Need to Make wooden signs or something to guide people in.

The devil is in the details as they say, but the details are what make a good event great.

Edited by Alan Bechard

21 April 04

Raining cats and dogs and stepped in a Poodle today.

Well, OK, I aint so funny, but the wife runs a lawncare / landscaping business and so she had some time so I called up to get the Porta Pottie's delivered. 4 each, hope that is the right number, hate to have smelling stinky facilities, but hate to pay too much $$$$ as well. $55 each. The guy wanted the wife to sign a release that she would be liable for any towing charges if he got stuck. He did not , but I cannot imagine getting my wife to do something that she does not want to do, Trust me, I try a lot!

Putting out the calls to get observers and workers for the event, crossing my fingers that the weather will cooperate. Hoping to get folks out this final weekend to wrap it up.

Wondering about how to work the differences in the champs / experts skill levels between clubs. Think we have a good handle on that.

Dad is back from the Phillipines and headed this way shortly (13 hour drive one way for you continental folks)

Trying to figure out who can do what tasks this weekend to insure that everything gets handled.

It is raining today, might be the day we need to move everything from Doug's house to the trial site on the tractor! Oh wait, that was last year.

Trying to work on the Exorcism of some of these details now.

22 April

Raining still, will be interesting putting in the Stadium stuff this weekend. Coordinating to see what tractor / truck / trailer combinations we have that will work the best and most efficiently.

Coordinating with Blaine for him to come in this weekend.

Started sending flyers out and contacting / reminding folks about the event coming up.

Considered a direct mail campaign, but with limited (actually no, measurable) response to it last year might just let that one slide.

Have the tasks laid out for the weekend, see how it pans out.

Stadiums and mowing, Doug and the Wallace Gang.

Trail marking Brian

Finish Section marking / splits, Blaine and myself

Anyone else that shows ie the Rednecks or such will help with section clearing etc.

Hope it works out well.

24 April

Am I glad I have such a supportive wife! None of this would be possible without her.

Things are going well, we got a tremendous amount of work done this weekend! Bunches of folks showed up to help and get things sorted out.

The Leriche brothers came up and put the Champ eye on the sections! Some of this stuff should be spectacular to say the least!!!!!

The best quote of the day was when one of them said, "if you leave this open it will be too easy, we will just jump this ditch" Well this ditch is 15' across and 15' deep! We tried to get Dwight to go to the bottom so we could accurately measure it and he would not! Anyway, Jessie and I looked at each other and said, " Heck, I want to see this easy stuff!" so Jessie is observing that one and it is laid out with that as an option! And you can bet I will be there to see that "Easy Line" done!

Full report later, probably after the event! But it is going well with some glitches! Cross your fingers and wish me luck!

Edited by Alan Bechard

29 April

We are real close, working every night, doing a lot and accomplishing a lot and the usual hassel of trying to do things and things not going your way.

Flat tire last night on trailer moving the stadium stuff in, Tire shops were closed, Doug taking care of it today.

Got to set the tent tonight.

Most sections laid in, couple of details to work out yet, but real close on all, very do able.

Added some height to one of the stadium sections yesterday for the champs. Can you say, "Cable Spools"???????

Weather has been perfect all week. I am holding my breath and crossing my fingers and saying a little prayer along the way that it holds.

Will post more about these final days after when I get time to reflect.

I am looking forward to it being done, and very excited at the same time. And my wife is definetely READY for it to be done!

Picking up the Trials Central Banner today! Hope it looks like the artwork I gave them!

• 2 weeks later...

10 May 04

Trying to wrap up and do some conclusions. Just not enough hours in the day. I work in support of the finest military division in the world and they are keeping me hopping as of late, trying to clean up from the event and my sister and law and her husband and two kids are here with us for two weeks. Been a touch busy along the way, oh yeah, and it is spring time and the wifes landscaping and lawncare business, otherwise known as the Alan's riding fund is kicking into gear!

Anyway the things I did not want to say on the net two weeks ago. I got out Saturday morning and looked at the property after it had rained for the previous week and the bottom area was flooded. Lost 8 of my sections, and the water was at the foot of some other sections. For those of you reading that were at the event. Section 5 on Sunday, the Ledges, the water was even with the top of the ledge early Saturday morning.

Want to talk about wanting to cry. Nothing to do but to regroup, reroute the loop, work out what we could use and what we could not and plan for the worse.

The Leriche Brothers and Charlie & Alex were a great help, we basicly looked around with Blaine and laid the sections in. We did use the section mentioned earlier with the big Jump, and true to their word, they jumped the darn thing. It may not have been much to them, but my jaw dropped when I saw them do it! Ryan did it as well, and he gave it the big eye I can tell you before doing it.

It rained all night Saturday night so about 10pm while Blaine and I were sitting down for supper we worked out what to drop and what to change and what to roll back for the Sunday event. Sunday morning started at 4 and we were on scene by 6 resetting sections as scheduled. We backed almost everything off one full level, even though some folks did not think we did!

Got to go heavy lightning here!

Spater