Front wheel spacers?

cmc84

Hi all, I've got a big push on to get the bike finished before my holidays, want to get it moving and stopping under its own power before I spend much more on it.

Tried to get the front wheel mounted tonight, and noticed that with the drum snug against one fork leg, there must be a spacer of some sort at the other side? I have worked out which spindle of the 4 I have is the correct item, but I assume I am missing a "top-hat" spacer that goes from the face of the bearing to the fork leg on the side without the brake drum? Does that sound right?

I appreciate a picture would help, but I never think of taking one to the garage until its too late...

Top Hat spacers are sold by Bultaco uk.

You should have a long split spacer which fits into the near side slider.

When you set your forks up make sure this is free to slide, tighten the spindle, compress the legs a few times, this allows the fork legs to fine their natural position.

Then tighten the clamp on the near side first and then the off side.

Martin

Early models up to M80 have top hat spacers both sides from there on they have a top hat brake side and a straight spacer on the other side, as well as the split bush that fits inside the fork leg

Depends on which model you have as to what you want as there are two differen types of front wheel fitted to Sherpas.

1972/3 bikes onwards had the smaller conical front hub. These have a top hat spacer inside the brake plate, between the plate and the bearing. On the left side as you sit on the bike there is a normal tubular spacer that locates in the oil seal and goes between the fork and the bearing (not a top hat) On these bikes the spindle is recessed into the fork leg on both sides, it isn't exposed.

Earlier bikes with the full width hub have a different arrangement but it's been too long since I worked on one so can't remember exactly what the spacers are. On these bikes, the spindle isn't recessed into the fork leg, it is exposed on either side.

Obviously, the model you have doesn't necessarily identify which front end you have fitted as these can easily have been changed over the years, but those are the two types fitted to Sherpas. Bultaco UK will have the spacers you need if you can tell them which wheel you have.

As far as I remember there are only two spindles, the recessed type for the conical hub and the exposed type for the earlier full width hub (which may be a bigger diameter, can't remember. The later one is 12mm diameter)

Edit: ooops, post crossed with one above. If you look on ebay, this is the later spindle, the left hand side has a slot cut across the diameter.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bultaco-Sherpa-250-trials-1976-front-wheel-spindle-/230650797069?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item35b3dbdc0d

Edited by Woody

Thanks guys, I have a 1978/79? bike - a 199a. I have the slotted spacer which goes into the fork leg, but not the top hat which goes inside the brake plate, or the straight spacer for the left hand side. Makes sense, I thought it was a bit queer having the "empty" drum butt up against the fork leg. Wanted a rolling chassis this week, but looks like I'l have to settle for a wheelbarrow!