Aluminum forks - how to remove springs?

jonny042

I am trying to check and possibly adjust the oil level in my front forks.

I found a document at Trialsparts USA showing how to do this, easy as 1, 2, 3.... from this and searching and the manual that came with the bike I know that it should be 160mm from the top of the fork to the oil level, although there seems to be some debate over if this should be with the forks fully extended or fully compressed. Manual says "hydraulic rod extended" but the Document I found at Trialspartsusa indicates fully compressed. (edit - the 575mm dimension shown at both places indicates fully compressed.)

What is clear is that the oil level must be measured with the springs removed.

What I need to know - how to remove the springs? I have the caps unthreaded and with the forks compressed they stick out of the tubes, but I cannot see how to remove the springs. And I certainly don't want to screw anything up!

Thanks in advance!!!

(edit again - I added 15cc of oil to each leg in an effort to cure a tendency to "bottom" - seems to have helped)

Edited by jonny042

Push the plastic sleeve down that sits on top of the spring and then you can see the lock nut holding the cap on, quicky slip an 18mm (?) spanner on it and it will hold the spring in position while you loosen the cap. You should slip once or twice and nip your hand between the plastic spacer and the fork cap...ouch!!

Ian

Push the plastic sleeve down that sits on top of the spring and then you can see the lock nut holding the cap on, quicky slip an 18mm (?) spanner on it and it will hold the spring in position while you loosen the cap. You should slip once or twice and nip your hand between the plastic spacer and the fork cap...ouch!!

Ian

If you are going to work on your forks in the future you may want to make a plate to fit under the lower jam nut. The spanner will work but suspension work is messy and oil will make your hands slip a lot. I think I still have a few scars from the spanner technique...:)

Jon

post-2532-0-42969400-1311974583.jpg

So, if you've unscrewed the fork caps from the stanchion..

Collapse the fork stanchions into the fork leg (to their minimum height)

undo the locknuts beneath the cap, these are revealed by pulling down the plastic spacer.

This action requires two 19mm spanners.

remove the plastic preload spacer by sliding it up over the damper rod.

unscrew the locknut completely from the damper shaft (not absolutely necessary)

remove the spring by sliding it up and over the damper rod.

now collapse the damper rod into the fork leg

the fork oil- air gap height can now be measured with the fork leg vertical

Dom

• 1 year later...

Hi, I am having the same problems with oil level after changing my oil for the ssdt. This info has been a great help, just one question- does this procedure and 160mm air gap apply to both fork legs?

Thanks in advance, Craig.

Hi, I am having the same problems with oil level after changing my oil for the ssdt. This info has been a great help, just one question- does this procedure and 160mm air gap apply to both fork legs?

Thanks in advance, Craig.

Yes. The 160mm is for the aluminum forks, the steel upper tube type takes 180mm.