01 Sherco 2.9 Kick Start Noise

joeroberts37

Newbie here. Excited to join the sport and just picked up a 01 Sherco 2.9. Seems to have minimal wear and tear. Skid plate is clean. Complete bike. However, there is a rattling noise behind the kick start lever. If you hold the lever, you can make the noise go away. Also, when you shut the engine off, there is a loud clunk. I knew this before I bought it.

Any thoughts to what it is? Anyone have a similar situation and a solution? Estimated $ for parts?

I have my thoughts, but was looking for an unbiased opinion before commenting.

thanks,

Joe

The first thing that comes to mind for me is the kickstart return spring is "tired" and not returning the kickstart shaft all the way up and that is causing the gear to stay engaged a bit and making the noise when running. Not exactly sure what is making the clunk sound when you shut the bike off.

I broke the return spring a while back and have fitted a new one, everything has been fine for a few months of riding but recently there is a "buzz" while running that goes away if I push the kickstart forward just a little bit.

Maybe a bearing going bad on the shaft?

The first thing that comes to mind for me is the kickstart return spring is "tired" and not returning the kickstart shaft all the way up and that is causing the gear to stay engaged a bit and making the noise when running. Not exactly sure what is making the clunk sound when you shut the bike off.

I broke the return spring a while back and have fitted a new one, everything has been fine for a few months of riding but recently there is a "buzz" while running that goes away if I push the kickstart forward just a little bit.

Maybe a bearing going bad on the shaft?

Zippy,

That is exactly what I was thinking. There is not a lot of tension on kickstart to return to the starting position. Also, if I hold the kickstart lever forward while running, the noise will go away. Was thinking either the spring has lost tension, or a gear is rounded, chipped...

I'm would consider my mechanical skill set to be above average. Is the spring replacement an easy fix? Its been years since I've had a bike motor apart.

Thanks.

Newbie here. Excited to join the sport and just picked up a 01 Sherco 2.9. Seems to have minimal wear and tear. Skid plate is clean. Complete bike. However, there is a rattling noise behind the kick start lever. If you hold the lever, you can make the noise go away. Also, when you shut the engine off, there is a loud clunk. I knew this before I bought it.

Any thoughts to what it is? Anyone have a similar situation and a solution? Estimated $ for parts?

I have my thoughts, but was looking for an unbiased opinion before commenting.

thanks,

Joe

Joe, I had one do that, yet cannot recall the year bike. There was something about the gear that cams in as you kick it not returning fully due to loose on the shaft or something. Ryan sent me a new gear(and cover gasket) and it was fine. Had something to do with the tolerances , but could not see it. I would email Ryan at RYPUSA.com for more info and hope he recalls this issue.

I think mine would actually change tone if you rocked the bike left to right as well, as it would move slightly, just as putting return pressure helps. :rolleyes:

Zippy,

That is exactly what I was thinking. There is not a lot of tension on kickstart to return to the starting position. Also, if I hold the kickstart lever forward while running, the noise will go away. Was thinking either the spring has lost tension, or a gear is rounded, chipped...

I'm would consider my mechanical skill set to be above average. Is the spring replacement an easy fix? Its been years since I've had a bike motor apart.

Thanks.

Hardest part was getting the end of that #$%^&*ing spring in the hole. The rest was pretty easy, but I gotta say what Copemech says makes sense also.

This winter I may need to pop off my clutch cover and investigate my buzz as well.

Joe, I had one do that, yet cannot recall the year bike. There was something about the gear that cams in as you kick it not returning fully due to loose on the shaft or something. Ryan sent me a new gear(and cover gasket) and it was fine. Had something to do with the tolerances , but could not see it. I would email Ryan at RYPUSA.com for more info and hope he recalls this issue.

I think mine would actually change tone if you rocked the bike left to right as well, as it would move slightly, just as putting return pressure helps. :rolleyes:

Thanks Copemech. Seems like a quick fix - I hope. I will call Ryan today.

• 3 weeks later...

Also...

Maybe the kicker was off and put back on in the wrong place.

If it was rotated counter (anti) clockwise, the weight of the kicker could be pulling it past center in the wrong direction (toward the rear of the bike.

You could try taking it off and clockwising (!) it a couple splines.