Teaching to slip the clutch

Hi All,

I am currently attempting to teach my son the basics of riding, in the garden still at the minute (waiting for membership for estc club to come through).

I have got him practicing tight turns round old swarfega tubs ( abut 2 meters apart) which he is getting much better at - but how do I explain slipping the clutch a little to him?? - Is this something he needs to learn right now or should I let him get on with enjoying himself!!

He can ride down the patio steps (about 3 foot) and he's been over an old log which he loves doing, but I want him to learn the basics early on and not being a rider myself (not trials)am looking for ways / exercises to help him, might seem a bit mundane for him, but no doubt in the long run these basics are the most important skills to learn.

He's 9 btw :icon_salut:

Any advice from those that have been there and done it / still doing it would be appreciated.

First things first, teach him how to bail. After watching a few nephews tear uncontrolled across parking lots I learned and taught my niece the finer points of letting it go. Basically took her to the top of a small hill with the engine off and had her roll down while jumping off the back (in full riding gear). That taught her two things.

1. If you exit before the crash it doesn't hurt (or at least it hurts a lot less)

2. Uncle Dan will not be mad at you for scratching the motorcycle. It's expendable.

Other then that the clutch is very much a feel thing and the only thing I can suggest is to adjust it to slip slightly. It's not great for the engine to do this for a long time but it shouldn't take more then a few weeks to get the basic feel.

Teach him to steer with his feet. Once he learns centering and steering with foot pressure he'll own the sport.

First things first, teach him how to bail. After watching a few nephews tear uncontrolled across parking lots I learned and taught my niece the finer points of letting it go. Basically took her to the top of a small hill with the engine off and had her roll down while jumping off the back (in full riding gear). That taught her two things.

1. If you exit before the crash it doesn't hurt (or at least it hurts a lot less)

2. Uncle Dan will not be mad at you for scratching the motorcycle. It's expendable.

Other then that the clutch is very much a feel thing and the only thing I can suggest is to adjust it to slip slightly. It's not great for the engine to do this for a long time but it shouldn't take more then a few weeks to get the basic feel.

Teach him to steer with his feet. Once he learns centering and steering with foot pressure he'll own the sport.

Thanks, he's doing ok with his steering / foot pressure and counter-balancing by moving his weight about whilst turning, its amazing how quickly kids pick things up, by the time I get myself a bike he'll be way in front of dad :lol:

I would think that clutch control could be developed by having him start and stop in the middle of the turns. Also by having him stop while going up a hill - then attempting to get going again without spinnning the rear wheel. Both of these drills will also require good balance.

I have a drill where I make very tight turns around trees that are on a medium steep hillside in the woods and it requires lots of clutch slipping to do it correctly as the bike must go very slow on the downhill turn to keep the front wheel from washing out.

I would think that clutch control could be developed by having him start and stop in the middle of the turns. Also by having him stop while going up a hill - then attempting to get going again without spinnning the rear wheel. Both of these drills will also require good balance.

I have a drill where I make very tight turns around trees that are on a medium steep hillside in the woods and it requires lots of clutch slipping to do it correctly as the bike must go very slow on the downhill turn to keep the front wheel from washing out.

this sounds good advice

Not sure which bike, but I think one can intentionally amplify the need and use of the clutch usage and slippage by even starting off in higher gears, then even doing the turns in second or third, while at the same vehicle speed, slipping all along and applying the power slowly, then go to a bit of the same with a little downgrad and upgrade while maintaining speed and control.

Clutch is the BIG bailout tool as well, just pull and you will stop! Brakes do help though! :thumbup:

I suppose that is another drill!

Edited by copemech