primary chain

bondy

hi i can anybody help i have a noise comming from the primary clutch case. so ive had alook.and the primary drive chain is slack there is a tensioner on witch is ok looks like the chain has been catching the weight hence the noise. anybody know how i change the chain? is this a hard job to do?

The chain is catching the weight where?

If your chain is rubbing on the inside of the inside weight (as it is a double weight on the 350) then you probably haven't got the weight seated far enough onto the shaft meaning the chain is out of line. When you fit the weight, the woodruff key can ride up out of the back of its slot and prevent the weight from siding far enough onto the shaft into it's correct position.

Remove the clutch (obviously the clutch basket and weight have to come off together as they are joined by the chain) and look at the woodruff key. If it is pushed upwards out the back of its slot, that's your problem.

Best way to fit the key is to loctite it into the slot with thread/bearing lock and let it set. The remove any traces of loctite from around the key and then carefully refit the clutch making sure that the keyway lines up with the key when fitting the weight, otherwise you may dislodge the key if you catch it with the edge of the weight. It's best to have the bike on its side when doing this as it is easier to line things up. Make sure the key isn't worn or damaged.

I can't believe the chain could be that worn that is is moving around that much that it is hitting the weight. No matter how worn it is, the tensioner should control it. Not impossible though I suppose, but more likely your weight may be seated incorrectly. Has the clutch been refitted recently?

You will need some special tools to get the clutch and even the flywheelweight deassambled.

A clutch basket holder, then a puller for the flywheel weight.

As already mentioned here (post #9): Posting #9 to your ping-ping question

Befor deassambling completly and also afterwards you have mounted the chain and the clutch flywheel assembly again, you will check the assambly by turning the flywheel by hand just to determine the flywheel weight turns centered, the chain is running aligned with the clutch sprocket, ...

I would also check the tensioner for wear, the plastic wheel might have deep track marks. It is recommend to replace the wheel and the spring of tensioner after a rebuild.

The chain is catching the weight where?

If your chain is rubbing on the inside of the inside weight (as it is a double weight on the 350) then you probably haven't got the weight seated far enough onto the shaft meaning the chain is out of line. When you fit the weight, the woodruff key can ride up out of the back of its slot and prevent the weight from siding far enough onto the shaft into it's correct position.

Remove the clutch (obviously the clutch basket and weight have to come off together as they are joined by the chain) and look at the woodruff key. If it is pushed upwards out the back of its slot, that's your problem.

Best way to fit the key is to loctite it into the slot with thread/bearing lock and let it set. The remove any traces of loctite from around the key and then carefully refit the clutch making sure that the keyway lines up with the key when fitting the weight, otherwise you may dislodge the key if you catch it with the edge of the weight. It's best to have the bike on its side when doing this as it is easier to line things up. Make sure the key isn't worn or damaged.

I can't believe the chain could be that worn that is is moving around that much that it is hitting the weight. No matter how worn it is, the tensioner should control it. Not impossible though I suppose, but more likely your weight may be seated incorrectly. Has the clutch been refitted recently?

hi yes new clutch has been fitted is it worth me buying a new chain? how do i fit the chain dose it just go over the to spockets? theres no split link? is that why they clutch basket.and weight have to go on at the same time? allso is it worth changing any seals why ive got this off?

hi yes new clutch has been fitted is it worth me buying a new chain? how do i fit the chain dose it just go over the to spockets? theres no split link? is that why they clutch basket.and weight have to go on at the same time? allso is it worth changing any seals why ive got this off?

If the chain shows excessiv wear then replace it.

You can replace the crank shaft seal underneath

the flywheel weight if the seal is already some

years old.

To replace the chain you have to deassanble the

flywheel and the clutch together with the

chain at once.

The chain is endless there is no chain link mounted

To fit a new clutch (as in clutch plates) the entire clutch assembly doesn't have to be removed, only the plates. So just fitting new plates will not have disturbed the weight. What I meant when I said has the clutch been refitted recently was the entire clutch assembly - basket weight and chain (ie; engine rebuild or replacing crank seal)

I can't advise you on replacing the chain and tensioner as I can't see it so have no idea of whether it is worn or not. If you can afford

To fit a new clutch (as in clutch plates) the entire clutch assembly doesn't have to be removed, only the plates. So just fitting new plates will not have disturbed the weight. What I meant when I said has the clutch been refitted recently was the entire clutch assembly - basket weight and chain (ie; engine rebuild or replacing crank seal)

I can't advise you on replacing the chain and tensioner as I can't see it so have no idea of whether it is worn or not. If you can afford

Although you haven't removed the weight someone else may have, so it may be seated incorrectly. I guess it's possible that the tensioner could be bent which may cause the chain to rub, unlikely but not impossible I suppose.

The basket will provide the line for the chain. The chain will run in a straight line from the basket to the sprocket on the weight and shouldn't touch the inside weight. If it does it's most likely the weight isn't seated on properly, as mentioned above.

The magneto puller is no use for the weight. I've never needed a puller for the weight, they ususally come off by hand or with gentle tapping from a hide or copper mallet. You have to remove the basket and weight together and equally, if one comes of further than the other you will bend the chain and the resistance will stop them sliding off the shafts.

You won't need to worry about where it has been rubbing

hi ive took the clutch basket and the weight off today it was a bit fiddely but came off easy seals look ok. ive put a spare primery chain on i had and a spare tenstioner. it all whent back together ok the weight is fully on the chain seems to be ok theres dosant seem to be has much play in it. the other thing ive notice is theres slight play in the clutch basket is this normal? ive tightend the nut up tight. may be the bearing in the clutch basket? if so or they easy to remove.and replace? theres a big cir clip at the back do they tap out easy? once ive sorted this out. its just the slight oil leak on the final end drive shaft on the front sprocket ive put new one in but still leaks. first of i didnt take the small metel clad that was left in there. so i took it out. and put new seal in flush but looking at my other bult it seems to be in a bit more and that donsnt leak. theres a reeses that it goses in any ideas? apart from that the bike runs great kicks up first time ticks over ok pulls like a train ive not been out and trials it but been up and down the street gears or fine ive spent alot of money on her just want to sort these to littel problems i was gonner sell it but ive spent way to much money