01 rev3 250 electrcal issue

liviob

I have an 01 250 rev3 that i have been refreshing and i am trying to find a power source for the headlight. The previous owner hacked the wiring looms so this is what i have. There is a large yellow wire coming out of the generator which go's into the regulator. I'm guessing this yellow is the hot lead to power the acceseries. THis yellow does not come out of the regulator. What comes out of the regulator is two blue wires which go out to the thermostat and return to the regulator from the thermostat. Then there is a red and a black wire which go out to the fan and return to the regulator. There is no wire for the light acceseries? I thought of jumping off one of the thermostat leads however its not possible to tell which lead is always hot unless the motor is running. To get to these wires the pipe must be removed and the radiator moved from its fastend in position. Where can i get power for the headlight?

I have an 01 250 rev3 that i have been refreshing and i am trying to find a power source for the headlight. The previous owner hacked the wiring looms so this is what i have. There is a large yellow wire coming out of the generator which go's into the regulator. I'm guessing this yellow is the hot lead to power the acceseries. THis yellow does not come out of the regulator. What comes out of the regulator is two blue wires which go out to the thermostat and return to the regulator from the thermostat. Then there is a red and a black wire which go out to the fan and return to the regulator. There is no wire for the light acceseries? I thought of jumping off one of the thermostat leads however its not possible to tell which lead is always hot unless the motor is running. To get to these wires the pipe must be removed and the radiator moved from its fastend in position. Where can i get power for the headlight?

sounds like the wiring has been screwed up ..

*** the YELLOW wire is unregulated AC electric .. do not use this for anything. ****

the blue from the regulator goes to the thermostat ( top of cylinder ), then from the thermostat to the fan , then from the fan back to the regulator.

that would leave the red as a live ( check with a multimeter to make sure its +12 dc) to run the light ... i am not sure of the colour for the -ve as on my diagram the image is blured.

i can send the owner manual ( includes wiring diagram ) if you send me your email.

all the best.

N.

What you describe for a solution makes very good sense. However the remaining looms which i describe look factory and the fan does seem to work properly even though it seems to be setup on two seperate power sources? I sent you my e-mail address so after reviewing the wiring schematic hopefully this will make sense. Thanks for the help.

Edited by Liviob

I have several Beta electrical schematics however none are for the 01 rev3. They all show a similar wiring layout but none show a voltage regulator like the unit thats mounted in my rev3. The schematics show a red for power to the thermal switch and on to the fan and black for return to ground through the voltage regulator. My voltage regulator has also has a pair of blue wires. One is hot with 12 volts and the other does not connect to the mount/ground tab on the regulator. It connects to the red wire from inside the voltage regulator. when i jumper the two blues together the red becomes hot with 12 volts. If i remove the jumper from the blue wires the red is hot with 6 volts. The black return connects to the mount/ground tab internaly. This is a goofy setup. These wires coming out of the voltage regulator are definitly stock however there is no hot lead to power the lights? The only sensible thing to do with this wiring setup is leave it alone and connect the lights into the hot 12volt blue lead and return the lights to ground. Unless someone has a better solution. Question; are the lights 12volts?

Edited by Liviob