Not a clutch problem...but opinions sought

gasser_david

Hello

Just wondered how much; if any; improvement "new" style clutch has over the original multi plate design as on my 2001 TXT 200 from the viewpoint of the 'average Joe'...and not Joe Raga either.

FYI haven't ridden a TXT with "new" style clutch.

Not interested in the weight saving aspect...more the operational improvements..if any.

Having "tuned" my 200's clutch using Beta forum clutch fettling mods & my own 3 springs only mod I find the action and feel faultless...smooth engagement & slippage and easy lever pull...only downside been a tiny amount of unintended slippage in high gear /low revs/tarmac surface which I consider worst case scenario.

Unfortunately, I keep suffering the new bike bug urge.....then I look at 'old faithful' and ponder just how much of an improvement it would be...better the devil you know etc.

Appreciate that more to it than clutch change over the years...such as frame / suspension etc.....

But for my style of riding...no hopping and a skipping here!!!... clutch performance is a priority.

Haven't mentioned throttle feel and action a little apparent change over the years.

Hope I'm not boring you all to death.... but suffering urge again and looking for reasons not to...Yorkshire values...

david

Hello

Just wondered how much; if any; improvement "new" style clutch has over the original multi plate design as on my 2001 TXT 200 from the viewpoint of the 'average Joe'...and not Joe Raga either.

FYI haven't ridden a TXT with "new" style clutch.

Not interested in the weight saving aspect...more the operational improvements..if any.

Having "tuned" my 200's clutch using Beta forum clutch fettling mods & my own 3 springs only mod I find the action and feel faultless...smooth engagement & slippage and easy lever pull...only downside been a tiny amount of unintended slippage in high gear /low revs/tarmac surface which I consider worst case scenario.

Unfortunately, I keep suffering the new bike bug urge.....then I look at 'old faithful' and ponder just how much of an improvement it would be...better the devil you know etc.

Appreciate that more to it than clutch change over the years...such as frame / suspension etc.....

But for my style of riding...no hopping and a skipping here!!!... clutch performance is a priority.

Haven't mentioned throttle feel and action a little apparent change over the years.

Hope I'm not boring you all to death.... but suffering urge again and looking for reasons not to...Yorkshire values...

david

If You dont intend to buy a newer bike, dont try one! :)

On the other side, if You are open for it, go to a trial training area one day and borrow one for 5 minutes. (you can borrow mine if You come to Norway). Next go find one for sale..

Not only cluth are better... everything are better. Much better. (Perhaps exept for reliability, but we dont talk about that..)

-Jan

If its a Pre 'Pro' model 200 (163) then IF its in good condition you can't get a better '200'..... If you are not a hoppin' and a boppin' then the bike is so much better than the Pro versions... its better built too!

Your version of the Gas Gas does everything right if you are more of a rider than an acrobat...

I've no idea why you modded the clutch, because as standard they were light and had a superb action.

Early Pro models clutches were poor in comparison, but the newer ones seem good.

If its a Pre 'Pro' model 200 (163) then IF its in good condition you can't get a better '200'..... If you are not a hoppin' and a boppin' then the bike is so much better than the Pro versions... its better built too!

Your version of the Gas Gas does everything right if you are more of a rider than an acrobat...

I've no idea why you modded the clutch, because as standard they were light and had a superb action.

Early Pro models clutches were poor in comparison, but the newer ones seem good.

Well David... you saught for opinions. Now You got two.. :D

-Jan

Thanks for the replies

Jan - Think I'll follow your thoughts and NOT ride a newer type..thanks for the offer but Norway is just a bit too far.

Rosey - It is a pre pro type which I've had from new & 'religiously' maintained (never had a problem with Gasgas UK where most of spares obtained; unlike others) ... so in mint condition apart from odd dents & scratches on none vital areas. Modded clutch as I was looking for an improvement on existing which as you say was pretty good to start with.

J & R - After reading forum posts for a couple of years I assumed that it appears to be better built than newer ones as regards durability, longevity and 'vital' component protection....radiator especially.

Charlie - Agree with comment, unfortunately I'm a 'serial messing abouter". Just suffering from 'grass is greener at the other side of the fence' syndrome when I thought about getting a new 2011/12

Decided that "old faithful" is staying along with the cash in my wallet.

Post effectively closed now.

Once again many thanks....