03 250 pro cutting out

youthy

Hi all after a long time of reliability my 03 250 pro has developed a running problem. Seems to cut out at random feels asthough ive stalled it when it does however when its cuts out it looses spark and does so for roughly 10mins and will not spark again for roughly the same time. Its not the plug as ive been taking a spare to trials with me however its getting quite unreliable now. Anybody got any ideas as to what this can be? I have tried removeing tank checking all wiring for defects and made sure all plugs etc are clean and have good connections, i have also run the bike with wiring all pulled out and bent wires wiggled plugs etc and runs ok. even ran in the dark to see if i could see anything shorting out but with no joy!

I used to ride an OSSA (I know, I was young...) and it developed an intermittent cut out fault.

I was lucky, I found it fairly soon.

One of the cables fed a spade connector on the Motoplat HT Module (coil?), and it had a moulded plastic shroud over the push on spade connector. This (copper coloured, brass looking) spade connector had snapped inside its plastic shroud. The shroud held it in place for a time, and as the engine revved, the contact could make or break as it felt the need. <_<

My Dad was an electrician and he suggested following every cable, and checking for continuity using a meter. We did this and found that the feed to this spade connector was intermittent.

It would make a break depending on movement of the cable, and it ran OK for a short while until perhaps vibration caused the metal to part.

Try a continuity multimeter (one with a buzzer or a light) on all the cables and see if you can break the continuity by bending and twisting cables.

You will just have to be methodical and eliminate all cables.

Hope this helps.