Gas Gas 250 or 200?

monty_trials

I am getting back into trials and I am thinking this time round a 200cc gas gas. In the past people have told me they are more easy to ride? Ive always had montesa315r but i did find it a bit too much sometimes, maybe because they are not the lightest of bikes. How many of you prefer the 200cc to a 250/280 etc. Is there much difference? I am also at club mans level. Any advice would be grate.

thanks peeps

The 200 is like a powerful 125 - where most of the gain is down low. Has a very light feel.

The 250 has a very smooth power delivery, but as you would expect, more power/torque everywhere over the 200. It doesnt feel as feather light as the 200, but has a snappy feel still.

The advantage of the 250 will be most notable on large steep climbs and bigger hits. The 200 will be easier to maintain precision and throw around.

I would make a road trip to try them out - or at least try a 250 with a slow throttle. Very easy bike to ride. If too much - 200 would work. The beta 200 is a very nice bike as well. (kinda in between the 2 IMHO)

I'm a crappy rider, but I really like the 200.

I'm comparing it to the Sherco 290 I had for years.

It's a bit jumpy/snappy and I miss Sherco's silky smooth power delivery (I also miss Sherco build quality, but that's another story).

The up side is that it just feels so light and flick-able.

Moving the wheels around is so much easier.

The bigger engine is a little more forgiving, like if you let the revs drop on a big climb, but I seldom miss the extra power.

Actually...I'm starting to think that most sub-expert riders would pick up fewer points on a smaller/lighter bike.